Author
Topic: Signature changeover on polymer fives  (Read 73600 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »

Hi,

Do the Macklem-Carney HBG notes have a Charlton number yet?

Dean

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »

The current catalogue lists them as BC-69a with the Macklem/Poloz notes being BC-69b.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2014, 05:46:27 pm »

Do you think the Macklem Carney HBG notes are worthy of a registry?  There are only 25 reported so far in the SNDB.

Dean

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2014, 10:52:42 am »

Stumbled on this article today...had a photo of an HBG Carney note:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/photos/canadian-five-10-dollar-bills-made-polymer-displayed-photo-142411894--finance.html

The new Canadian five and 10 dollar bills, made of polymer, are displayed following an unveiling ceremony at the Bank of Canada in Ottawa April 30, 2013. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:56:13 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »

I'm still scratching my head over what happened between HAL and HBG. It's just such a huge gap.  How many more notes were printed in there (either Journey series notes that were unreleased, or Frontier notes with carney's autograph) that got destroyed? Having such a huge gap leads me to believe it's a lot.

I doubt we'll ever know.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
skaha_boy
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2014, 03:44:12 pm »

I doubt that they really destroyed so many notes, it would be a big waste of money. I think they either never printed them (but that would be strange) or they were stacked in the very back of the vault at first and they started emptying the vault from the front with the newer notes first and the early ones are still waiting as they keep adding new notes to the front. Maybe we'll see older notes come out later in time.
JB-2007
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »

Maybe we'll see older notes come out later in time.
Its very doubtful but then again you never know.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2015, 08:22:57 pm »

I doubt that they really destroyed so many notes, it would be a big waste of money. I think they either never printed them (but that would be strange) or they were stacked in the very back of the vault at first and they started emptying the vault from the front with the newer notes first and the early ones are still waiting as they keep adding new notes to the front. Maybe we'll see older notes come out later in time.

I received an email from the Bank of Canada and they said the missing prefixes were never printed. They said that "timing of note production and the Bank's transition from former Governor Mark Carney to Governor Stephen S. Poloz" account for the gap.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:41 pm »

I received an email from the Bank of Canada and they said the missing prefixes were never printed. They said that "timing of note production and the Bank's transition from former Governor Mark Carney to Governor Stephen S. Poloz" account for the gap.

Thank you for sharing the information. It is good to see that others are having some good response from the BoC.

But what about the full range of the prefixes that were printed, i.e. HAE to HAL ? Did you pose that question?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:28 am »

No, I only asked about HAM-HBF.

JB-2007
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2015, 11:55:17 am »

Thank you for sharing the information. It is good to see that others are having some good response from the BoC.

But what about the full range of the prefixes that were printed, i.e. HAE to HAL ? Did you pose that question?

It would be interesting to know the outcome of these notes as it would appear that all these notes were issued in full however it seems clear that many bricks were never circulated and probably destroyed.
AlbertaGuy
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2015, 12:46:22 pm »

I see there is a listing on ebay for 100 consecutive notes today.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2015, 01:03:00 pm »

I see there is a listing on ebay for 100 consecutive notes today.
Funny how these notes are still described as RARE and GREAT INVESTMENTS...more of these available than many common notes  :-D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:42 pm »

Funny how these notes are still described as RARE and GREAT INVESTMENTS...more of these available than many common notes  :-D

At least 50% of the notes on eBay are "rare".  Well, if you go by the titles and descriptions.

I have yet to see these common HBG notes here in Eastern ON.  They are scarce if they were never released in your town.  They are even scarcer if you live outside Canada.  No matter how common they are, there will always be some appeal for them given that this is the first time since the 1937 series that a signature combination occurred entirely within one $5 prefix (Osborne-Towers A/C).

No hay banda  
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:26 pm »

finally found one today

Login with username, password and session length