Author
Topic: Post your new $5 and $10 finds  (Read 30467 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

Generally speaking, they're not important to a collector.

To a numismatist, particularly one who researches printing and numbering methods, knowing the position numbers helps them first figure out the layout of the sheets, then where on that sheet any particular note comes from.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bricker
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2013, 05:21:03 pm »

newbie here, referred to your site from CCF, had no idea your site existed, looks great! I've collected paper money since the 70's, never too seriously.

Last week I picked up a brick of polymer fives from RBC in Montreal and was thrilled to find 2 radars, a 3 digit and a 4 digit. A little voice in my head told me to record the serial numbers before returning them to the bank the next day (teller was not happy, takes about ten minutes to return a brick).  Unfortunately I failed to record the FP and RP numbers, which I see from this thread are useful to know, sorry! Since I kept 9 bills for my collection I have a few plate numbers.

The whole brick was HBP (plus I pulled a nice HBG7735777 FP35 RP35 a few days earlier). All of it Macklem/Poloz. Five notes in the brick were...what do you call them? position numbers? I thought they were replacement notes, what's the difference?

Anyway I'll gladly share my SN's with you but I can't find this SNDB of yours, where is it hidden?

bricker
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2013, 05:28:20 pm »

OK I found the SNDB.

this is fun!    ;D

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2013, 02:27:48 am »

Hi Bricker,

Welcome to this site.  This is website full of information and resources on primarily Canadian bank notes.

Lots of great collectors/researchers here.   So, I am sure you will get to know other members here. 

Enjoy and happy hunting!

Coinsplus

Smile from your heart.  ;D
bricker
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:22 am »

ordered a brick of tens, it arrives weds, can't wait!!   

FrontierMountie
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:10 am »

Greetings!

I am FrontierMountie, call me Mountie if you wish, I am a new member to the forums  :)

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I picked up 2 new HBH notes and 1 new FTD note from the bank, which I brought home and recorded in the SNDB. A week ago, in my change, there were about  3 or 4 new 5 dollar notes, and 2 new 10 dollar notes, which I forgot to bring home and put in the SNDB  :( I kept one though, since it looked special. It was HBH 9946699, FPN and BPN 49. A new high for the SNDB! Also, I have a few questions to ask. Do trinary notes have any value? Also, am I able to enter old Bird Series or Multicolored Series in the SNDB?

Thanks! -FrontierMountie

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:59 am »

Welcome to the forum!

Do trinary notes have any value? 

What exactly is your definition of a trinary? I assume only 0,1, and 2's?
If so 2001002, 1002001, 0000112, 0000102.......for example would all have extra value beyond FV   :)

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
JB-2007
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2013, 06:59:40 pm »

Greetings!

Also, am I able to enter old Bird Series or Multicolored Series in the SNDB?

Thanks! -FrontierMountie
No. But there is a note registry for certain scarce prefixes in those two series. See note registry for more detail.
FrontierMountie
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:50 pm »

What exactly is your definition of a trinary?

My definition of a trinary would be any 3 numbers (i.e. 9946699). Sort of like a binary, but with 3 numbers of any sort.

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2013, 09:25:59 pm »

I'd say face value only.

Gary_T
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »

My definition of a trinary would be any 3 numbers (i.e. 9946699). Sort of like a binary, but with 3 numbers of any sort.

I would agree FV only

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
FrontierMountie
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2013, 09:31:25 pm »

Ok then. I'll just keep on passing along my so called "trinary" notes, since they're only FV. Thanks for your input guys.

FrontierMountie
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

No. But there is a note registry for certain scarce prefixes in those two series. See note registry for more detail.

One of my Bird notes, a $10 Bonin-Thiessen "BDH" Prefix Changeover in AU condition is only what I want to enter in the SNDB. Though I don't think the "BDH" Prefix is that scarce. I'll check the registry. Thanks.

JB-2007
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:00 pm »

One of my Bird notes, a $10 Bonin-Thiessen "BDH" Prefix Changeover in AU condition is only what I want to enter in the SNDB. Though I don't think the "BDH" Prefix is that scarce. I'll check the registry. Thanks.
There is no registry for BDH as we all know the changeover point and how many were printed. The point of the note registry is to collect as many numbers as possible on prefix where changeover and qty printed are all not known. For example in the birds series you have all the AUG-AUN notes
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:32 am »

I think at this point it's safe to close this thread... The SNDB accepts all of the new polymer $5 and $10 notes, and there's really only one unknown: the M/C to M/P changeover.

So if you find any Macklem/Carney notes and want to brag about your luck, please create a thread for it.  Otherwise, for the rest of the new notes, please use the SNDB.  Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length