Author
Topic: 2013 Uncirculated Sets - Doubling on $1 and $2  (Read 5919 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:10 pm »

Rumour has it that the 2013 Uncirculated Sets feature a high occurrence rate of doubling on the $1 and $2 coins.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Are the sets with doubling the rarer ones, or are the normal sets the rarer ones?  Are both the $1 and $2 coins affected, or is one more common than the other?

Thanks

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:41:25 am »

Not 100% sure... but ive been seeing quite a few 2013 coins out of rolls that have doubling on eBay

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:57:23 pm »

Rumour has it that the 2013 Uncirculated Sets feature a high occurrence rate of doubling on the $1 and $2 coins.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Are the sets with doubling the rarer ones, or are the normal sets the rarer ones?  Are both the $1 and $2 coins affected, or is one more common than the other?

Thanks

As far as the sets are concerned my observations (from looking at sets in CP outlets and offerings on e-bay) indicate that the sets with the doubling are less frequent than the normal set. Of course we are referring to "specimen sets". The strike of coins in "specimen sets" is the same as that for circulation. Also do not forget that the same coins can be had in the "gift sets" and there are plenty of them without doubling. I have not seen one yet from such "gift sets" that has been offered for sale and has doubling. I believe all these coins have the same strike (refer to the Charlton Catalogue on a discussion about changeover of the strikes in the specimen sets).

In terms of circulation coins I have not seen many 2013 loonies with doubling (and I have examined well over 2500 - 2013 loonies). In fact I would not consider them frequent at all. In comparison the 2012 (laser) loonies have doubling "by the dozens". I cannot go through 50  - 2012 loonies without finding at least one or 2 with doubling.

In terms of the toonies I have not seen enough 2013 to comment on them. However in the 2012 (laser) toonies the doubling is not as common (almost uncommon).

It is also important to note the location where the doubling happens. By far the most frequent doubling (almost common) is on the obverse face where it occurs. The most dramatic doubling affects all elements including the letters and the portrait (edges and the necklace area).

Unfortunately I am not equipped to take pictures, yet otherwise I can show some examples. I am sure one can find good examples on the numis canada forum or the CCF.

Anyone have any different experience? Run into 2013 toonies in the Southern Ontario area?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »

Ask and you shall receive. Found in Ontario:

{http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8718/tjq6.jpg:http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8718/tjq6.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:55:03 am by BWJM »

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:07 pm »

Ask and you shall receive. Found in Ontario:

{http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8718/tjq6.jpg:http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8718/tjq6.th.jpg}

Very Nice. It is December and I still have to find one. I am presuming that yours was found in circulation.

One dealer in Southern Ontario last week was selling 2013 toonie rolls for a higher amount than the 2012 toonies.

Again maybe the market is saying something here.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:55:12 am by BWJM »

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 12:55:30 am »

The above image is from an uncirculated set.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length