Author
Topic: Counterfeit CDN silver coins  (Read 6072 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:12:57 pm »

I have run into a lot of counterfeit silver maples over the past few months, but I was wondering is anyone aware of CDN silver coins ie Dollars Halves Quarters Dimes that have been mass produced counterfeits on the market.
I have not run into any myself, but was wondering is this something one has to be cautious about
Thanks for any input

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:23:34 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:33:54 pm »

Yes, this has been a troubling topic for years.  China has massed-produced copies of Canadian coins dated earlier than 1949 (and not just key dates either).  It has been discussed and studied at length at certain coin forums.  Unfortunately, nobody who actually has examples of these coins can discuss them for fear of legal reprisal.  The coins are high quality, much more convincing than the period counterfeits made of lead metal.

No hay banda  
Shylo
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:45 pm »

There was one individual on another forum.. that made a presentation at the Toronto coin show (I think).... Anyways he made a disk or will send a file (or used to anyways) that had over 300 photos of counterfeit coins and their "markers" which gave them away...

I actually just e-mailed the guy about 30 minutes ago as I was thinking of finally picking up a copy of the disk as I have started to cruise the bay a bit more looking for a few coins I'd like to pick up.... hopefully he still will sell me a copy.. I'd really like to learn a lot more before I buy on the bay.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 10:52:39 pm »

I have seen this being discussed in a coin forum.

There was this link to the article and a place on ebay where you can buy the catalogue:

http://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/4245141-book-on-counterfeiting-faking-it-is-the-real-deal/

Here is another link that was available on the website that may be of inerest

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251381255967?clk_rvr_id=559503535805

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »

There was one individual on another forum.. that made a presentation at the Toronto coin show (I think).... Anyways he made a disk or will send a file (or used to anyways) that had over 300 photos of counterfeit coins and their "markers" which gave them away...

I actually just e-mailed the guy about 30 minutes ago as I was thinking of finally picking up a copy of the disk as I have started to cruise the bay a bit more looking for a few coins I'd like to pick up.... hopefully he still will sell me a copy.. I'd really like to learn a lot more before I buy on the bay.

If you get a copy, please let me know..I would be very interested in seeing it

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Shylo
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »

I think I will be picking it up this weekend if/when I get it.. I will be happy to provide some sort of review... If you're ever in the Winnipeg area I will be happy to show you... if not and you're still interested I will look into sending you the contact information of the author... I think that is fair.

Login with username, password and session length