Author
Topic: Storage of notes  (Read 14864 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 11:01:15 am »

I thought those ones had the same problem as most of them?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 11:02:43 am »

I bought some from Don Olmstead and did the belstein test and they are find. They are more expensive than most other brand.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 11:25:55 am »

I'll be talking to Don shortly by phone and asking about these holders.  Hopefully he will be able to have an inventory of them at Torex.  I'll post information here.  If anyone has some direct questions for Don, let me know here and I'll ask him when I talk to him.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:28:51 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 05:09:33 pm »

I've spoken to Don about the holders and I will start a new thread specific for the purpose of ordering these holders.  This thread should keep to its original topic.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 10:01:02 pm »

I also use Lighthouse Vario products.  Been doing so since they said "Made in W. Germany" on them. ;)  Luckily for me, their Canadian office/warehouse is in Montreal and they give me a good price.  I like their robust 4-ring binders.  Very classic looking too.

Marc :)
emsteph
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 11:28:22 pm »

Hey Mark

Does this company you mention have a web site to browse?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 05:54:40 pm »

This is their North American web site:

http://www.lighthouse.us/

Marc :)
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 06:31:54 pm »

Yikes! Personally, I prefer keeping it in Canada. These people are great!  8)

http://www.collectorssupplyhouse.com/about.htm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 06:33:33 pm by admin »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 08:48:27 pm »

Ted Bailey used to get his sleeves from CSH, but he was dissatisfied with them because they were (according to Ted) poorly made.  Ted is looking into getting some made up to his specifications, but I don't think the timeline is any time soon.

Don Olmstead has (or will have in time for Torex) some of the sleeves that do not contain the harmful plasticiser compound that burns green in the Bielstien test.  I've made a separate post asking if anyone wants in.  The price is 75c each for the medium holders.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
moneycow
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 07:31:01 pm »

For those of you with a stack of sequential notes; do you store each individual note in a separate holder or are there bulk note holders.
I currently store sets of 10 sequential notes in old bankbook holders.  They have enough room to accommodate the stack but I figured there might be something better available.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 10:10:41 pm »

Interesting. Whenever I had a problem with CSH, or wanted something special, I found them very understanding and helpful.

I'd still rather fix the Canadian product then buy elsewhere.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 08:07:44 pm »

I bought some note holders only a few days ago and have just now come across this thread.

I got the Uni-Safe brand acetate holders...are these OK?  I would hope so, since I bought them from the Bay's coin section in Yorkdale mall; just thought I would check if acetate and mylar are equally safe (I suspect these are just two different words for the same material, but I can't find anything definitive on the web).

I'm a bit disappointed with these holders as the description says "Rigid, crystal-clear holders" and a pack of 10 was $4.75 + GST + PST, however they are not at all rigid - but as long as there is no PVC or other gunk that is going to leak out later, I guess I can make do with them for now.

As this thread refers to storage of notes, maybe this question I asked yesterday belongs under this thread: is it advisable to use silica packages when you are keeping your notes in a safety deposit box at the bank, or is silica unnecessary?  Thanks!

AZ
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:16:46 pm »

I have been storing my bank notes (mostly polymer) in "rigid vinyl" currency pages from Collectors Supply House (http://www.collectorssupplyhouse.com/c_album/standard.htm). The type of holders I have is CPR3.

I wonder if anyone has done the Bielstein test on these rigid vinyl pages. Are they safe to store notes, or should I be using mylar pages instead? How about very similar pages from Lighthouse (http://www.lighthouse.us/epages/lighthouse.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/leuchtturm_us/Products/GRANDE3C)?

Thanks
Alex
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:34:47 pm by AZ »
AZ
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »

Got a bit impatient and did the test myself, to see a bright green flame. So I guess "rigid vinyl"=vinyl=chlorine in the plastic. With that in mind, should I take the notes out of these pages and into the Lighthouse ones, advertised as clear archival polyester (100% acid- and chemical softener-free)? Has anyone tested the Lighthouse plastic?

After 5+ years of storage I haven't noticed any change in the plastic of the pages I have now, they are as clear and rigid as before. Would it mean that they are perhaps safer for storage than soft vinyl?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:43:32 pm by AZ »

Login with username, password and session length