Author
Topic: The Banknote Book  (Read 9744 times)
Al D
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:45:38 pm »

Has anyone subscribed to "The Banknote Book"?
Billed as "a new catalog of world notes for everyone frustrated with the many errors, omissions, and poor quality images in Krause's "Pick" catalog".
Is it worth subscribing?
Any comments as to it's quality and usefulness would be appreciated.

AZ
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:16 am »

Billed as "a new catalog of world notes for everyone frustrated with the many errors, omissions, and poor quality images in Krause's "Pick" catalog".
Is it worth subscribing?

I am not a subscriber myself but I have been following www.banknotenews.com for years. I have reported new issues and reviewed a couple of chapters, including the Canadian one. I think the catalog is very well done. Owen Linzmayer relies on contributions from hundreds of collectors around the globe and new issues get included in the catalog days after the release. If you collect foreign banknotes, it may be worth subscribing for one year for US$99 to see if the catalog suits your needs.
Al D
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:07:13 pm »

Thank you for the reply AZ. Greatly appreciated.
I went ahead an tried a subscription.
Good catalogue, nicely done but lacking a number of countries to date.
The Canada section lacks a lot of detail, for instance my BC-46a-i Lawson-Bouey; ALM.
All $1 1973 notes are lumped in together in 3 listings. Above note is valued at $4 in UNC, ouch!
Makes one wonder how detailed the chapters for the other countries are?
That being said, what a monumental task (not possible for 1 person) it would be to compile a single catalogue of world banknotes with the detail found in the Charlton catalogue.

AZ
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »

Good catalogue, nicely done but lacking a number of countries to date.
The author is adding new chapters weekly, the gaps will be eventually closed. For the countries/regions that have already been published, the Banknote Book is more complete and detailed than the Standard Catalog of World Paper Money.

The Canada section lacks a lot of detail, for instance my BC-46a-i Lawson-Bouey; ALM.
All $1 1973 notes are lumped in together in 3 listings. Above note is valued at $4 in UNC, ouch!
Makes one wonder how detailed the chapters for the other countries are?
I do not expect this catalog to be as detailed or accurate as Charlton when it comes to Canadian notes. Same holds true for other large countries such as Australia or Russia, for instance, where coin and banknote catalogs have been regularly published domestically.

However, the Banknote Book is particularly valuable when it comes to the regions like Africa, Central America, or Asia, where numismatic information is not available or scarce. The updates and scans sent by collectors worldwide are sometimes the only source of information, and hundreds of collectors help to put the Banknote Book together.
Norum
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:27:56 pm »

Is it worth subscribing?

Hi! I totally agree with you, but I will say a few words in defense of this directory. Gather all the information about the bills of the world in the same directory, this is a great work. I always say thank you to the author for his catalog , although I understand that the directory has many errors. In a catalogue collected almost all information about the bills of the world, but the directory could not embrace each category thoroughly. For a thorough and in-depth study is needed directories written by authors living in these countries and who know all detailed information about money of their country. For example, Canada is the best-- Charlton, for Russia, and China--the other and so on. I personally use for each country in their own directory.{http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1146/7oxt.jpg:http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1146/7oxt.th.jpg}
Norum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »

As I understood, the author of the topics talked about this directory. All the best....
{http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9903/cuel.jpg:http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9903/cuel.th.jpg}

Login with username, password and session length