Author
Topic: Redesigned $5 Journey note???  (Read 10565 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:29:57 pm »

There is an auction currently on e-bay selling an HOC Journey $5 which states:

Up for auction is a very nice crisp UNC HOC 1853229 Jenkins/Dodge note.This will very likely be a short run prefix (last prefix) as the new 5's and 10's are coming soon and the surplus inventory of notes needs to be used up. It is believed that the new 5's and 10's will be printed on a different paper with the new security features added.

Is this statement accurate or speculation?  I haven't heard about a redesigned $5 note just a $10 note.  I'm also certain just as for the other notes in the Journey series that the Bank will give significant notice for the general public about a changeover in the bank notes. The BofC will likely have an announced "unveiling" followed by release of the note to circulation 6 to 8 weeks later. They want to instill trust in Canada's currency with the public, not destabilize it...... so I can't imagine that one day these notes will just appear in curculation unannounced.  

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 12:42:02 pm »

The statement is probably based more on suspicion than fact.  The only fact that can be known at this point is that some time during 2005, the $10 notes will be redesigned with better security features.  I think there is a statement somewhere in the BoC website to this effect.  Anything beyond that statement is just speculation, rumour and guesswork.  This includes specific timelines, what exactly the new security features are, ANYTHING about the $5 note, etc.

So, before anyone reacts like Jonathan did the last time we said that the new Mackie/Merritt signatures were out, let's try and keep in mind what is fact and what is not.

Jeez that was a riot with the Mackie/Merritt signatures.  We really had him going too!  LOL ;D (Oh and by the way, if you're wondering what those squiggly black lines are in the bottom right corner of my signature and those of several other staff.............)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 06:03:23 pm »

The only fact that can be known at this point is that some time during 2005, the $10 notes will be redesigned with better security features.  I think there is a statement somewhere in the BoC website to this effect.

Right here (scroll down to the bottom of the press release):
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/press/2004/pr04-26.htm

No word about the $5.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 06:03:44 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jokered
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 01:47:29 pm »

Hello!

I read in the news paper "Le Soleil" last week that the new 10$ was to be released in may.

Jokered :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 02:02:29 pm »

I read in the news paper "Le Soleil" last week that the new 10$ was to be released in may.
Yet again, this has already been reported and discussed in a separate thread.

CLICK HERE to view the original thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:33:59 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 10:20:16 pm »

Brent, why not move the original thread to *this* forum?  It is a Journey series note, after all.  

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:22:14 am »

Done.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
suretteda
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 04:51:24 pm »

Bank of Canada to upgrade $5 Journey note???

No decisions has been made yet on the $5 bank note. They don't know yet.
jonathan
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 01:17:33 pm »

I guess there will be a need for an upgraded fiver eventually.  When the new upgraded ten gets released next month, counterfeiters will then turn to producing phony $5's since it will be the only denomination left that is more prone to be bogus, thus expressing a need for an upgraded $5 note.

That's my $5 worth.  ;D

Jonathan, out!
sosso
  • paper money..my fave!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 02:35:23 pm »

Hi people!
the teller at my CIBC branch on Sherbrooke ST. told me yesterdaythat the FIVE dollar bills will also be redesigned. She also told me (in a very hesitant way; as if it is a secret) that both fives and tens will be removed from circulation.

hope this helps!
sosso
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 03:06:57 pm »

Tellers hardly know anything.  After the release of each of the Journey notes, I was easily able to find several tellers who were completely clueless that new notes were even being released.

Until the Bank of Canada makes an announcement, it is a safe bet that the $5s as we know them today are going to be around for the foreseeable future.

Look at the Americans... They will have THREE series of notes in active printing and circulation.  The $1s and $2s will still be printed with the original 1928 designs.  The $5 will carry the 1996 black-only design.  The $10 through $100 will be the colourized 2004 (or 2005/6?) series.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
JB-2007
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 03:23:03 pm »

Hi people!
the teller at my CIBC branch on Sherbrooke ST. told me yesterdaythat the FIVE dollar bills will also be redesigned. She also told me (in a very hesitant way; as if it is a secret) that both fives and tens will be removed from circulation.

hope this helps!
sosso

I strongly doubt that we will see any change to the $5 note before the year 2015... of course this is what i think, i just see the need to change the $5 as well
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 03:30:08 pm by JB105 »
sosso
  • paper money..my fave!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 03:38:31 pm »

The $1s and $2s will still be printed with the original 1928 designs.  

hmmm, are you saying that US two's are coming back?

:o
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 03:52:51 pm »

They were never gone.  Refer to the appropriate thread in the US Currency forum for followup on this matter.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 06:55:31 pm »

The $5 should be modified ASAP. The bills of the series should all be the same in terms of security features.

Marc :)

Login with username, password and session length