Author
Topic: 1954 specimen notes  (Read 23844 times)
yojojake28
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00:21 pm »

Just out of curiosity, where did you find that??
forrory
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 04:12:23 pm »

Actually it's a bit of a funny story, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and we are now renovating his house to rent. Long story short he had a few boxes with some letters from a woman he was having an affaire with and in the midst of all that paperwork we found that folder and coins. We've had those boxes for a few years now and never bothered to look threw it.  :-D
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 05:19:00 pm »

Actually it's a bit of a funny story, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and we are now renovating his house to rent. Long story short he had a few boxes with some letters from a woman he was having an affaire with and in the midst of all that paperwork we found that folder and coins. We've had those boxes for a few years now and never bothered to look threw it.  :-D

Well if that specimen set was a "token of affection" from the woman he had an affair with, he must have been damn near spectacular!!  :D

forrory
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 05:22:53 pm »

Hahaha I wish I could ask. We have no mention on what he wanted to do with them or if he even knew they were of any value. Any idea if the coins are of any value or if we should repackage them in a frame?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »

Oh. My. God.   ???

What an amazing set!  Whatever you do, do not break the bills out of their original packaging.  I've never seen them in the original booklet.  Also leave the coins as-is.  They have survived this long unscathed.  Any cleaning and/or remounting you do may reduce the value of your collection.

I hope you plan to make this specimen set an heirloom because they do not come around often.  Get insurance coverage on it as it could be worth several thousand dollars.

Hope this helps,
Dean

forrory
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »

But realistically how much is this set worth? I know they are worth something but how much would someone really pay?
forrory
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 08:56:33 pm »

My reason for asking is my wife took the set to a pawn store and they offered 15k for everything and by the reaction of these forums I have a feeling they should be worth a bit more. He mentioned that in the booklet the notes have tape holding them in place. Is that a big issue of is he just low balling her?
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 09:00:18 pm »

I'm assuming all notes are in this set? $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 as well?

Gary_T
forrory
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 09:03:42 pm »

Yes full set. I probably should of posted on what it's forth forum :-p

Btw why are they called devils face?
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »

I believe the notes from your set are expected to have glue residue as this is how they were mounted in the binder.
The catalogue price for this set is $24,000.
The coin set is nothing to sneeze are either, there are two varieties for 1954 the regular one $750. and the no shoulder fold 1 cent one $1650.
Judging by your good fortune you have the NSF variety.
$15,000 not a bad offer from a pawn shop, but I'm sure you could do better, just takes a little time

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:33:07 pm »

Btw why are they called devils face?

There were two releases of the 1954 series.  The original issue had what people perceived to be a "devil's face" behind the Queen's left ear, so a new version with a modified version was issued in 1956.  By and large the Devil's Face notes are worth more than modified notes.

See this link for a picture that shows Devil's Face next to the modified: http://www.moneymuseum.ca/images/DevilsFace.jpg

forrory
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:21 pm »

What are the no shoulder fold 1 cent coins?
Frank_Lut
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »

Nice lol
forrory
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »

Just checked the coins, they are from 1957 so I'm guessing they arnt worth too much.  :(

Btw I just want to thank you guys for all your input and help with this find!
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:10 pm »

A 1957 set is still worth about $200, not too shabby.

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496

Login with username, password and session length