Author
Topic: Bank of Canada to Upgrade $10 the 18 May  (Read 12986 times)
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:34:28 pm »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 12:36:16 pm by detonate »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:46:44 pm »

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Take note, collectors, that all original $10 notes are expected to be REMOVED from circulation within one year of the new notes appearing.  Get your paws on them now because they won't be around for long.

{http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/graphs/photos/general/2001-04/cjs_10bf.gif}
{http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/graphs/photos/general/2001-04/cjs_10bb.gif}

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 12:56:03 pm »

I agree, Brent.  If, in case the "lost prefixes" of BEL thru BEP gets released (which is highly unlikely), you should get them and hold on to them!  Better yet, hold on to any current $10 Jenkins/Dodge prefixes (especially BER), as they may be worth a premium in ten or twenty years down the road!

I was at the Scotiabank in St. John's, NL this morning, the teller had crispy tens, but I turned them down because the prefix of FEK, a two-year old prefix, was what she had.

By the way, is the upgraded ten still an issue of 2001 or is it an issue of 2005?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 04:20:58 pm by jonathan »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:11:19 pm »

They will be "ISSUE OF 2005"

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 02:18:06 pm »

I wonder if they are going to fix the "missing circles" ???

I suspect that they will.  With changes to the lithograph printing stage that are this substantial, I'll bet that there will be no more missing circle notes on the 2005's.

I had 8 UNC missing circle $10's at one time, but only kept three.  Charlton's still doesn't list them as a variety in the catalogue.  I wonder if they will ever be recognized as a variety by the collecting community at large.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jonathan
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:38:58 pm »

Strangely enough, I do not see any windowed security thread on the rear of the "sample" new $10 note.

However, I see the windowed security thread listed on the press release.

Jonathan  ;)
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 12:23:49 am »

I think this is another case like the 1935 and devils face series were they were withdrawn from circulation and destroyed. So i defenetly believe that our "original" 2001 series $10 would become valuable in years to come!
suretteda
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:01:41 am »

Bank of Canada to issue new $10 bank notes to thwart counterfeiters

Canadian Press

Thursday, January 20, 2005

OTTAWA (CP) - Canadians will be getting new $10 bills starting in 18 May 2005 as the Bank of Canada continues its efforts to battle counterfeiters by adding more security features to its paper currency.

The upgraded $10 note will have the same security features found on the $20, $50, and $100 bills issued last year, although the illustrations will be the same as the existing note issued in 2001, the Bank of Canada said Thursday. The $10 note features Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister.

The improved security features include a metallic holographic stripe, a watermark portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread woven into the paper, a see-through number, and enhanced fluorescence under ultraviolet lighting.

The Bank of Canada said it will work with the financial industry to remove previous versions of the $10 note from circulation and expects that most of the older bills will be out of circulation in about a year.

http://www.canada.com/businesscentre/story.html?id=16957a96-44f7-47ee-b5bd-f8782f2ce5a6
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:01:18 am by suretteda »
suretteda
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 01:30:42 am »

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Take note, collectors, that all original $10 notes are expected to be REMOVED from circulation within one year of the new notes appearing.  Get your paws on them now because they won't be around for long.

{http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/graphs/photos/general/2001-04/cjs_10bf.gif}
{http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/graphs/photos/general/2001-04/cjs_10bb.gif}

Windowed Security Thread
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 03:22:13 am by suretteda »
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 09:35:15 pm »

Save up your J/D $10's of the current run, there aren't that many of them!

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 12:21:58 pm »

I'll try my trusty Scotiabank at least once a week, in hopes of getting my hands on some crisp BES or BER Jenkins/Dodge $10's... :D

Jonathan  ;)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 07:28:36 pm »

A repair guy today told me that the BoC has suddenly recalled the re-designed 10s. Looks like there could be a problem with them and may need to be reprinted. FEP may in fact never see circulation.  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 07:54:17 pm »

A repair guy???  Would you care to clarify who you were talking to?  The average appliance repair technician doesn't seem to be someone who you would expect to be up on the latest with the BoC.  (No offence intended to anyone who knows an appliance repair technician or who is one).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
jonathan
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 08:22:48 pm »

If the upgraded tens were to be recalled, it would be announced on the Bank of Canada website.  ::)

Besides, it's awfully late for April Fool's jokes.  ;D

If there is enough evidence that the new tens are being recalled, we welcome your feedback.  ;)

Jonathan, out!  :D
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 08:30:19 pm »

The " repair guy " repairs banknote acceptors and developes the software necessary when our notes change. This guy had some notes but the BoC wanted them returned before the software could be completed. This is not to say definatively that the issue has problems but I see no other reason for the recall.

The BoC release in January states :

The Bank of Canada is also collaborating with its partners to ensure the smooth introduction of the upgraded $10 note into daily cash exchanges. The Bank is providing manufacturers of bank note handling equipment—such as automated banking machines (ABMs), change-makers, and automated ticket dispensers—with the necessary information to make the required adjustments to their equipment. "In order to ensure that bills are not rejected by bank note handling equipment, it is important for the owners and manufacturers of this equipment to be ready for the upgraded note on 18 May 2005," said Roy Poppe, President of the Canadian Automatic Merchandising Association. "This simply makes good business sense."

« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 08:43:51 pm by sudzee »

Login with username, password and session length