Author
Topic: Mismatched serial numbers.  (Read 5299 times)
emsteph
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:04:05 pm »

There seems to be the odd ebay auction lately with 1973 $1 mismatched serial numbers with the prefix of NJ.

I'm not sure if they are from the same seller, but the numbers have always started with 888 and 878...mismatched.

Am I correct to assume that a whole sheet would have been printed with mismatched serial numbers?

A seller has this one for sale:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3429&item=3954399322&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

And has sold a previous one in the past:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3429&item=3943056767

Both have been described as circulated. What are the odds of having such in one collection? Lucky him.

But again, I've seen other sellers with similiar described notes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 07:10:52 pm by sid-63 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 08:51:21 pm »

Most interesting.  Positive feedback was left by both parties on the first auction too.  My only guess as to a legitimate excuse for what's going on is that feedback was left by both parties, then later the buyer decided to get a refund for whatever reason.  Otherwise, why would he leave positive feedback of "Fast shipping, Beautiful bill." ? I retract my comments and apologize if I implied any wrongdoing.  An explanation follows.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 12:01:17 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:14:46 pm »

Am I correct to assume that a whole sheet would have been printed with mismatched serial numbers?

There would only be one note on each sheet that would have the mis matched numbers.  The error occurs when a counter is out of sync.  This would mean that the notes in the same place on each sheet would have the error. If this is not caught for a while there can be thousands of errors produced.  Since all the errors are in the same position on each sheet, when they are cut, a bundle or more of errors could be possible.  Would have been nice to get a bundle.   ::)

Tom
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:22:01 am »

I am a complete moron. :-X

I ignorantly did not realize that the serial numbers on the two notes are in fact distinct.  Please disregard my original post today.  Knowing what I know now, I fully agree with Tom's assessment.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jonathan
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:23:17 pm »

I remember seeing those NJ $1 error notes at a flea market in St. John's, NL several years ago.  I had never seen anything like it before! ::)

It was so  8) cool!

BTW, I never paid attention to how much they were selling them for back then - it was back in the mid to late 1990's...

Jonathan
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 12:23:32 am »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:09:07 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length