Author
Topic: Polymer $5 Error - missing holographic strip  (Read 6220 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:49:00 pm »

The following note was found in a new sealed BOC brick.
As you can see the entire holographic strip is missing.
I posted a picture of a note with the strip and the error note without the strip for comparison.

Any estimates as to value?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:34:05 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »

Wow Nice !

You found it ?

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:05 pm »

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:02 pm »

Fantastic find!  I can only imagine how happy you must have been to find that note  8)  Is it just the hologram effect/design that's missing from the clear plastic or is that entire bit of plastic gone?  In other words can you stick your finger through where the hologram would normally be?

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:14:14 pm »

Fantastic find!  I can only imagine how happy you must have been to find that note  8)  Is it just the hologram effect/design that's missing from the clear plastic or is that entire bit of plastic gone?  In other words can you stick your finger through where the hologram would normally be?

The plastic is still there .. no holes or hollow areas
Unfortunately the picture does not do justice because what is still appearing in the window is the four numeral "5" digits the word CANADA and the four "5" digits that appear in between or in the middle of the top and bottom hologram. It kind of forms an S curve...
If you have a polymer 5 and look at it you will probably understand what I am talking about

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »

To the left there seems to be some dirt in the same area on each note. Is that the scanner or the notes?

Gary_T
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »

To the left there seems to be some dirt in the same area on each note. Is that the scanner or the notes?
The notes are choice unc in my opinion and yes the scanner was dirty....it was my wife's week to dust  ;D

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:53 pm »

nice find
shrek999
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

:)excellent find!!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 04:37:31 pm »

Its amazing you caught that note with all the notes you look through... (I mean I get in the habit of just a cursory glance & sometimes wonder if I miss something).
RADARjourney
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »

Congratulations Squid ! How many did you find and would you share the prefix and serial number pretty please
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 07:21:00 pm »

Is this note was alone of it's sort in the brick, or there was few others?
 It would interesting to know if the error is an ponctual one or affects the entire sheet.  Personnaly, I doubt that the whole sheet would miss their holographic strips... Knowing that a sheet have five colomns and nine rows, if there is any pattern in this error, it would run through only one vertical strip.  If you could give the position (or plate) numbers, the prefix and the serial number, we can tell which notes would have the same error...
Personally, it's the first time I see a note having a major printing error in the polymer serie...

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:34 am »

There is something peculiar about this note.

If you look at it closely you can see the demarcation corresponding to where the hologram strip might have been present. you can actually see the remnants of the vertical edges.

You also notice the colour difference in the leaves in a location where the hologram strip might have been present and the adjoining location - blue v/s emerald green

The hologram strips are known to have been attached at the time the polymer sheets are prepared and sent by the suppliers to the printers. If the hologram strip was accidentally not applied how would one explain the colour difference.

If the hologram was applied when it arrived at the printers then did it come off? If so when?

If the hologram strip was not applied during the manufacturing of the polymer sheet it would have been missed in that position for the whole sheet. In that case there would be at least 8 other notes like that.

If the hologram strip was absent during the printing process then the embossing (that is not seen in this image perhaps due to contrast) would look the same as if applied with the hologram present. If the hologram strip came off after the printing then the embossing would be affected. Since the embossing goes from hologram to non-hologram areas it may be provide some clues.

It would be interesting to find out what the BoC has to say about this. If indeed such a huge error slipped through their single note inspection process then I it could be something of interest to them.

Thx for sharing

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:55 am »

It would be interesting to find out what the BoC has to say about this. If indeed such a huge error slipped through their single note inspection process then I it could be something of interest to them.   

A number of years ago I had found 2 wet trap errors with a cancellation mark on the note each in one of two consecutive BOC bricks
I sent the information, with numerous photos of the notes to the BOC and later received an email stating that the error is due to excessive ink on the plates not being properly cleaned and the notes are normally pulled by QC, but were obviously missed...(I assume some were removed since replacement snrs were the shoulder notes to this error in each brick) which were later confirmed as replacements.
They also suggested I send a note in for inspection by quality control and they could hopefully explain exactly what happened.  A big mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Along with the note, a complete explanation of where the note was in the brick and what was shouldering the note, as well as a self addressed return Xpresspost envelope with cardboard and  sleeves for the notes to be safely returned after inspection....  about 2 months later I received a BOC cheque for $15.00 for the three notes.  The only explanation was that the "note was not to be released into circulation and will be destroyed  it was inadvertently bypassed by QC  no mention of the other 2 notes"
First and last time I will ever send notes to the BOC even when I was told the notes would be returned after inspection.......
As for this note, it has been seen by a number of individuals for inspection, in particular a very well known and respected error collector..As for how the error occurred I have no idea as I do not know the exact process of making the polymer note...all I can say is that the brick was a new sealed brick that was opened by me...there was no other person that had access to the brick and it was packaged like all the other bricks that I have been receiving in the polymer series.

As for being of interest to the BOC...I think they have said it enough times before...they print banknotes not art...I doubt they could care less :(
FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:28:14 am by friedsquid »

russ
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 04:32:59 pm »

if soaked long enough it can become detached.

Login with username, password and session length