Author
Topic: Two new 100$ 1929  (Read 3737 times)
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:25:28 am »

I just want to tell you this very funny story that happened to me 10 years. I wanted to get US money and went to the small Caisse Pop (credit union) in the small village where I grew up and asked the teller If I could get US money  to make a purchase in US. She told me at the time she would have to order US Bills from the main branch because they don't keep a lot US money. She told me she will look in the vault if she still have US money in stock. I asked for 200$ US dollars. When she came back she said " I have some 1$, 5$, 20$ but not enough to make 200$, and I have two 100$. If you want it, it's yours. " I took the two bills put them in the book I had and went back home. Few weeks after I went to purchase what I wanted and the clerk said to me : We don't take counterfeit bills. I was very surprise because I received them from the bank. Nothing to do. Afterwards I looked the bill and saw 1929 Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. I didn't know at that time US Money at all, but I knew it was a nice pick up. I exchange them to an old collector. ( I was young and now I know It was not a good trade). The question I have now. How long slept these bills in the vault before being asked. I know the Caisse was founded in 1932?...They were brent new with following numbers!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:23:31 am »

Today they'd be worth about US$400 each.  They were a short-lived variety of notes called Federal Reserve Bank Notes.  The main difference between them and the current Federal Reserve Notes are that those ones were obligations of the issuing branch, rather than obligations of the United States as the current notes are.  Estimates indicate that there are approximately $2,000,000 worth of Federal Reserve Bank Notes outstanding today.

(I bought a book on US currency at the CAND show on Saturday and I've learned a LOT so far!)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length