Author
Topic: possible error on 100$ polymer banknote  (Read 7825 times)
Baanos
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:00 am »

Hello all, yesterday I withdrew money at the bank and this interesting note came up:

Notice that there is an aura around Borden that looks the same shape and fades out both as it goes up and as it goes down. But it doesn't end there, at several other locations that I marked, some inconsistency with ink can be noticed. There are more areas that I did not mark. I am wondering if this is a known error or is it possibly caused by someone experimenting ? In any case, it does not look like this was done by a person by accident like a coffee stain would be for example.

I would grade this XF.
Weeles
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:19:39 am »

A question for you, I don't see the top portion of the tower in the hologram. There are counterfeit $100 bills out there already and the top antenna portion of the tower isn't in the hologram. Is the top portion visible to you, If you do not know what I am pointing out compare it to another $100 bill looking at the hologram only and see if you can see the antenna portion on that bill.

Wayne

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:53:48 am »

The surest way to check the authenticity of the note is to look in the hologram in the frosted Maple Leaf  to see the Hidden numbers (You see the denomination).  You can see them by holding the center of the frosted Maple Leaf in front of a good point source of light, as a mini LED light or flashlignt (Be careful and do not shine these lights directly into your eyes!!).  You should see the numbers, but not so easily...  Better to go to the BoC's site:    http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/polymer/security/

If you never checked these numbers and never have seen how (or don't know how), better to practise on other notes (as 5$ or 10$ and preferably authentic ones!  ;)  )  to learn how to see these hidden numbers (which are not so easy to see)...

I would very surprised that any counterfeit would have these holograms in the frosted Maple Leaf...

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:23:59 pm »

Interesting condition. Find the uniform silhouette of the intaglio printed portrait difficult to explain.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Baanos
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 07:27:26 pm »

A question for you, I don't see the top portion of the tower in the hologram. There are counterfeit $100 bills out there already and the top antenna portion of the tower isn't in the hologram. Is the top portion visible to you, If you do not know what I am pointing out compare it to another $100 bill looking at the hologram only and see if you can see the antenna portion on that bill.

Wayne

I can see the top portion of the tower. I don't doubt the authenticity of this note.

The surest way to check the authenticity of the note is to look in the hologram in the frosted Maple Leaf  to see the Hidden numbers (You see the denomination).  You can see them by holding the center of the frosted Maple Leaf in front of a good point source of light, as a mini LED light or flashlignt (Be careful and do not shine these lights directly into your eyes!!).  You should see the numbers, but not so easily...  Better to go to the BoC's site:    http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/polymer/security/

If you never checked these numbers and never have seen how (or don't know how), better to practise on other notes (as 5$ or 10$ and preferably authentic ones!  ;)  )  to learn how to see these hidden numbers (which are not so easy to see)...

I would very surprised that any counterfeit would have these holograms in the frosted Maple Leaf...

Thanks. However in this case I am not questioning the authenticity of the note but rather trying to figure out if there can be a cause during the printing process which may have caused this.

Interesting condition. Find the uniform silhouette of the intaglio printed portrait difficult to explain.

I too am trying to find an explanation for this. But not only this, on the right hand-side of the portrait the BANQUE DU CANADA letters are somewhat highlighted:

Almost looks like someone did this very carefully with a paintbrush.
Baanos
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:31:44 pm »

Sorry, when I said "authenticity" I meant "not a counterfeit".
Baanos
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:36:42 pm »

When I said "authenticity" I meant "whether it is a counterfeit".

Sorry I am really tired.
Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »

A Wet Trap Error from the Polymer series and a nice one too.

Use the link I’m sure what you find can show you how the extra ink you’re questioning on your note got there and you’ll see examples of how excessive amounts of ink on printing plates can create some cool errors.
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=2352.0

Another possible cause of extra ink being printed in error is a printing calliper not being set correctly. Using too much pressure from the plates will also affect the print quality.

An explanation for what you called an aura around Borden could have been caused by how either extra ink on the plates or high pressure has affected the trap or trapping. Trap on a press is the ability of printed ink to accept the next printed ink and how well paper accepts that ink or in your case how well polymer accepts it.

Even very small miss-registration between multiple colours causes gaps/spaces. Trapping is used in prepress creating overlaps to compensate for any minor miss-registration between colours.

Just for fun here are three consecutive notes of mine from the Journey series with this error.

Is it just a harmless prefix-kix or do I live for that next prefix-fix?

Login with username, password and session length