Author
Topic: came into a stash of old silver coins  (Read 4620 times)
sinjen
« on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:29 pm »

Hi All,
I am an extreme newbie and I need help deciding what to do.

My dad gave me a gift for my birthday which was my old silver coin collection that I started when I was a kid.
It had maybe a hundred silver coins in it.
I didn't know he kept it and has been adding to it since then, maybe 20 years?
He had a store so whenever he saw one he just put it aside and added to the collection.

How do I go about finding the worth of it? should I sell it? auction it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
E
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:46 am »

How do I go about finding the worth of it? should I sell it? auction it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,
E
Silver coins are worth more than face value. They are all 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ and $1 dated 1967 and earlier including some 1968 10¢ and 25¢. The better the grade they can all be worth a decent price. It would be a good idea to get hold of the Charlton standard catalogue of Canadian coins Volume 1. The current edition is the 2014 68th edition and sells for $24.95. Available at chapters and chapters online. The 69th edition should become available in september.
sinjen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:02:49 pm »

Thanks very much.
Would it make sense to catalogue each one if they are for the most part circulated?
I hear there are differing opinions on getting the cleaned or something like that.

Also I have some that are sparkling clean but not UNC.

I have them separated into years but not individually.
Should I spend the time or just try to bring them in to get melted. I do have some old ones, I think 1918 or so.

Cheers,
Eddy
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »

Whatever you do, do NOT clean any of them. If there happens to be a rare coin in there and you clean it, you may erase more than dirt or oxidization. You could easily remove three quarters of the value. Imagine if you had a $2000 coin that was instantly worth $500. You would not be a happy camper.

Login with username, password and session length