Author
Topic: Whole Bundle of Macklem Carney Journey $5s...WOW  (Read 15402 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »

looks like they are out there...and soon they will be worth 5 bucks each :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:36:55 am »

An entire brick of HAG with what might be HAF inserts in one bundle... This makes me wonder... If you're a brick hunter and you get something like this, do you report the find or sit on it hoping to keep the brick of a scarcer prefix a secret?  It must be soooo conflicting, lol.  It's not really a scarce prefix if you tell people what you have.  ;)

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:46 am »

HAG was the most common of the Macklem-Carney HAE-HAL run.
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:18 pm »

...well that was certainly unexpected, for me at least, to see a whole brick of M/C 5$ Journey notes turn up, especially almost half a year after the polymer 5$ release!

An entire brick of HAG with what might be HAF inserts in one bundle...

What I wonder is why the seller decided to price all the bundles including that one the same.  Having notes with a different prefix mixed inside would certainly catch one's attention and indicate something is different about the bundle, especially since it came straight from the BoC. 

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:49:20 pm »

seller is advertising as gem unc bundles which I doubt all 100 notes in the bundle are gems
as for having two different prefixes in a bundle does not mean they are anything special
I have received numerous bricks with the green wrapper and many if not most consisted of a variety of prefixes ...in fact once 4 different prefixes...none were replacements...none were special...
I had always assumed that the green straps as well as the red and blue straps were bundles created by perhaps QC putting a bunch of notes together that had been removed for inspection..
OMO :-[

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 08:00:23 pm »

as for having two different prefixes in a bundle does not mean they are anything special

Very true, it could be that they aren't anything special.  I don't know much about bricks, I've never seen one so I wasn't sure if those different prefix notes were out of the ordinary or not.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »

especially almost half a year after the polymer 5$ release!

This "sale" on the bundle has been on e-bay at least until January 2014. I believe there was some mention of it on this forum when it first appeared. It is interesting that there are not takers.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:43:44 pm »

I am not at all surprised that someone obtained a brick of Macklem-Carney notes.  I would be surprised if the prefix was HAE or HAL, but again, not completely surprised.  These notes existed in time and space.  The odds of a collector getting one are not favourable but still quite possible.

What surprises me more is the seller's decision to post all 10 bundles in one listing.  It would be much smarter to list one bundle and see if that sells first.  A pair of consecutive HAG notes went for $36 recently, so $18 per note (incl shipping).  The brick seller wants $25 USD per note.  If he is serious about that price, I must reiterate that showing 10 bundles is a bad idea.  It's honest of him to admit he has the whole brick... but honesty and profits don't often see eye-to-eye.  ;)  So either the seller is not too bright or there's an alternative purpose to his listing.  Strangely, selling 1,000 rare notes at one time makes those notes seem, well, not so rare.  ::)

I believe based on the number of Macklem-Carney notes being reported that the Bank of Canada never issued their remaining inventory after the November 2013 launch of the polymer $5 note.  The small bump in the number of reported M-C notes shortly after the polymer note release is from bricks that were already distributed.  Instead of being returned to the Bank of Canada, some bricks were put into use along with what was already in circulation.  So I have to believe that the seller had this brick since at least November 2013.  Or he knew of the brick's existence for a while and just ponied up the cost when it became necessary.  What we don't know is how many bricks he could have, or, more generally, how many bricks are being hidden by people who don't want anyone to know they have them.

I never meant to infer that bricks of mixed prefixes must contain inserts.  It begs the question of what criteria are used to decipher inserts from mixed regular notes, but that is not pertinent to the current discussion.  All that matters in the case of the HAG brick having some HAF notes in one bundle is that the HAF notes have not been confirmed as inserts.  For ranges of M-C inserts to be known, that requires proof from bricks, and again, that means people need to obtain bricks of M-C notes AND for those people to divulge their secrets.  Not surprisingly, there are no M-C $5 insert ranges confirmed.  But, for all I or anyone knows, lots of people DID receive M-C bricks and reported finding inserts... but there is still no news from the authoritative source about insert ranges.

So for those of you keeping count, paper money collecting is 98% speculation, 2% fact.

No hay banda  
mike1999
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:36 pm »

I'm with a small group of investors and we would like to acquire 5$ bills from 2011 Macklem-Carney (unc, in sequence): HAK, HAG or HAF.

Can you give me some pointers where to look and what is the current value (2017) for those bills.  I've asked around with no success.

Thanks
missinglink3
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 11:54:54 am »

I would like to find one like this today  ;D

Login with username, password and session length