Author
Topic: Bank of Canada Changes the Design Description of $10 polymer note  (Read 4452 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

Dear forum members,

Since last November I have been questioning the accuracy of the design description of $10 note polymer note which I believed was not accurate.

Today in an e-mail the BoC has provided me with an updated the design description of the $10 polymer note.

Previously indicated Edith Cavelll is no longer listed in the design description and new peaks that were not listed in the design are now shown.

I am surprised at how passively Canadians have accepted the design descriptions of one thing that they handle the most. I am also surprised that no one in Alberta questioned the design.

But the bottom line is on the BoC website Edith Cavell is gone from the $10, rather silently.

I am grateful that after pushing back the BoC at least looked into this matter and graciously responded to me (although after almost 8 months).

I am a firm believer that our BoC needs to do more to work with the collector community as we have so much insight collectively that can help them.

Check out the new design description at:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/polymer/design/

My old pdf file with the old description is already become a collector's item.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:14 pm »

The BoC also put an invasive Norway Maple leaf instead of the native Sugar Maple on the Frontier series.

And there was that massive blunder about the "neutral" ethnicity of the woman on the $100.

Lastly, the $50 is back in the news:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/feminist-disappears-from-public-history-under-harper-government/article19798322/

Should the Frontier series be abolished and the Journey series returned?

Marc :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:06 pm »

And what if the train on the back of the $10 wasn't actually 6403.... Maybe it was a different train entirely and they just made it look like VIA 6403.

Such scandal!  We should do away with paper money entirely!  The government should be impeached.  These blunders are completely unacceptable.  Clearly the Bank of Canada and the federal government are incapable of doing anything properly.  As a crown corporation, we cannot even trust the Royal Canadian Mint anymore.  So be gone with coins and banknotes... It's back to the barter system!

"Should the Frontier series be abolished?"  Give me a break.  Go find something to bicker about that actually matters.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:54 pm »

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:57:43 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »

Go find something to bicker about that actually matters.

Such as the naked women on the $20 bill?  ^-^

If there is something I would like to see the BoC address, it's what happened to all those unreleased Journey series Macklem-Carney $5 notes.  I mean, we know what happened... straight to the furnace, crackle crackle.  I just want to hear the Bank acknowledge what happened and hear them explain how burning tens of millions of brand new paper notes is supposed to save us money in the long term.

Naturally, the drive-by media is not going to investigate because this is one story that is going to take more than a couple of phone calls to compile and file by the end of the day's deadline.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:28:54 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »

Awesome catch Rupiah!  Glad to see the description was changed to what is actually on the note.  :)

If there is something I would like to see the BoC address, it's what happened to all those unreleased Journey series Macklem-Carney $5 notes.  I mean, we know what happened... straight to the furnace, crackle crackle.  I just want to hear the Bank acknowledge what happened and hear them explain how burning tens of millions of brand new paper notes is supposed to save us money in the long term.

Maybe you should send an email to the BoC (just be sure to give them 8 months to answer  ;) ).

Login with username, password and session length