Author
Topic: Question about Jenkins/Dodge $10 notes.  (Read 4200 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: February 02, 2005, 08:32:23 pm »

I just got a new bundle of Jenkins/Dodge BES $10 Journey notes. Now since they will introduce the newly designed $10 note with more security features, should I hang onto these $10 notes I have? I assume there will not be a lot of Jenkins/Dodge $10 notes with the original design without the extra security features. Wasn't the production run of these notes with this signature combination short, like a few months? Whereas the Knight/Dodge combination for the $10 is more common?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 08:40:39 pm »

At this point, yes, I would hang onto them if I were you and I could afford to drop $1000 into them.  They'll likely pay you back 5 fold in a year or so.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:36:54 pm »

5 fold, that much? Wow, that's pretty good return on my money, what if I kept them for 10 years, how much would be worth then?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 10:05:21 pm »

I was just guessing based on past performance of similar Journey $10s.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Collector-in-BC
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 04:02:43 am »

Anyone have an idea of why the BoC would be distributing the BEM (and possibly other) prefix now when they're going to be introducing the new 10's in May? It makes no sense. It's not like there's a shortage of 10's.

Just curious,
Duane

Wanted: Unc 1954 Beattie-Rasminsky *B/D $10
Bob
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 02:32:49 pm »

You are quite right - the Bank announced a new deputy governor on 17 December 2004.  Here is the beginning of the press release:
"OTTAWA, ONTARIO – The Board of Directors of the Bank of Canada today announced the appointment of Tiff Macklem as Deputy Governor of the Bank and a member of the Bank's Governing Council, effective 29 December. Mr. Macklem's appointment fills the vacancy created by the departure of Mark Carney."

But here is the nitty-gritty:

The Bank has many deputy governors.  Only the SENIOR DUPUTY GOVERNOR gets his signature on the bank's notes.  We will likely be seeing W. P. Jenkins' signature on our money for some years to come.  Mr. Macklem's appointment could have no bearing on the release of any notes.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 03:50:46 pm »

But here is the nitty-gritty:

The Bank has many deputy governors.  Only the SENIOR DUPUTY GOVERNOR gets his signature on the bank's notes.  We will likely be seeing W. P. Jenkins' signature on our money for some years to come.  Mr. Macklem's appointment could have no bearing on the release of any notes.
Bingo.  You're absolutely correct.  I noticed the appointment shortly after it was announced, but I dismissed it quickly because it had no relevance to banknotes since neither the Governor (David Dodge), nor the Sr. Deputy Governor (Paul Jenkins) were being replaced.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length