Author
Topic: Bank no longer using counting machines  (Read 4915 times)
Breanna72
« on: March 05, 2024, 02:31:51 pm »

For weeks now anytime I visit branches of my bank the tellers have been counting notes by hand.  Today, they didn't even try to use the counting machines.  I know they issued polymer because it was supposed to last longer, but the folded corners no matter how small are catching on other notes in the counting machines rendering them useless for aging 5, 10 and 20 dollar notes which causes me to ask ... are the polymer notes lasting as long as the BOC expected?
Cheers,
Breanna
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 06:27:18 pm »

For weeks now anytime I visit branches of my bank the tellers have been counting notes by hand.  Today, they didn't even try to use the counting machines.  I know they issued polymer because it was supposed to last longer, but the folded corners no matter how small are catching on other notes in the counting machines rendering them useless for aging 5, 10 and 20 dollar notes which causes me to ask ... are the polymer notes lasting as long as the BOC expected?
Cheers,
Breanna

As someone who has access to piles of mutilated banknotes from multiple banks, I have observed that paper money is still being handed in in large volumes; mainly journey $50s and $100s.

As for the longevity of polymer notes, of the mutilated piles that I have searched through, 80% or so is composed of polymer notes and this is notmal, considering that paper notes were withdrawn so long ago.

What is interesting is that of the mutilated polymer notes, the majority of them are $5s $20s and $50s. Again, not at all surprising since $20s and $5s are heavily used.

I expect to see more mutilated $50s as time goes by.  As inflation continues, I expect for the $50s to become the new "workhorse" denomination.

Dean

Breanna72
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 07:11:16 pm »

Dean,

Thanks for reminding me how jealous I am about your ability to get paper from your banks. But as someone who doesn't even though I try, (and I started with coin hunting but couldn't deal with the weight and all the rolling), for me it is polymer in quantities that run anywhere between 200-500 notes per transaction.  But regardless of my quantities, the tellers are even more inclined to 'count by hand' if it is a lesser amount -- like 100 - 200 notes as it doesn't take as much time.  This has to be a problem for the bottom line of the banks.
 IMHO the more they try to put polymer through counter counting machines and it fails, the more notes are being damaged adding to the problem.  What's the fix -- better counting machines?  Banks buy newer notes from the mint?  Or, perhaps they are trying but not succeeding and if so, why?

I wonder if, as collectors that move from branch to branch within our own banks, or even those note hunters that have bank accounts at all the major banks, we are in a better position to recognize and discuss this type of thing.

So jealous!  :'(
Breanna
AJG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 07:34:15 pm »

What is interesting is that of the mutilated polymer notes, the majority of them are $5s $20s and $50s. Again, not at all surprising since $20s and $5s are heavily used.

I expect to see more mutilated $50s as time goes by.  As inflation continues, I expect for the $50s to become the new "workhorse" denomination.
Makes sense with the $5 note, as that is the smallest existing banknote denomination currently in circulation.  The smallest banknote is likely to be the most heavily used.  However, in Newfoundland, where I live, $20s seem to last longer and are very rarely worn out - that could explain why I saw no new $20s for years now.  The $50 seems to get passed through so few hands in my province too - for now.  I find that the low-demand denominations (especially $10 notes) tend to last longer because of being passed through so few hands - it makes sense as to why vending machines have no problem accepting $10 notes, but rarely accepting $5 notes.  I also wouldn't be surprised if we see the $50 take over as the "workhorse" denomination in a few years' time if inflation continues the way it's going and the $20 note's decline continues.  And banknotes that were hard to come by for several decades may start becoming quite common.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:38:04 pm by AJG »

Login with username, password and session length