Author
Topic: 1991 $20 Error on e-bay  (Read 6836 times)
JoeF
« on: February 04, 2005, 01:50:09 am »

Alright -- explain this if you can.   A $20.00 bill with a shadow of a $100.00 showing on the reverse.  Do you think this happened at the printer or somehow after it was issued?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3429&item=3954704502&rd=1
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:04:31 pm »

Can not explain it, and wouldn't go near it unless I could examine it in person.

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
jokered
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 03:02:56 pm »

Hello!

Could a good solvent (acetone) with a 20$ and a 100$ back to back do the job. After all it is ink you know.

Just guessing!

Have fun collecting!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 03:51:42 pm »

If the notes were placed back to back, the images would be reversed.  The ones seen above are properly aligned.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 04:52:01 pm »

I have seen this twice before and both came from the same sheet.

There is a scan of one 5000 numbers away on one of my favorite sites. ( Tom's Canadian Paper money errors. )

http://www.rarenotes.net/prt.html

I think the buyer got this note for a good price.

Gary_T
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 09:37:30 pm »

Is there anyone on this PLANET who would fall for this as a "missing OSD" error note??

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 11:40:08 pm »

hehehe - I saw that the other day. :D

Thank you for simply posting the image and making no reference to where it was found.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 12:56:11 am »

Thank you for simply posting the image and making no reference to where it was found.

I wouldn't dream of saying where I found that dubious OSD error note :-X

Here's a genuine 1991 $20 error note I came across recently.  What is the "technical name" for this type of error?  It looks like a multiple error - cut out of register AND print out of register?  How would one value such a note as there is no example in Charltons?  It went for $200 CDN - seems reasonable, even though the note is listed in EF condition.

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 01:33:09 am »

My guess is your note would be printed " out of register ". Had the registration been correct the cut would have been correct as well. I beleive it would be just a single error. $200.00 seems like a reasonable price.

Gary
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 04:36:58 am »

I'm going to offer a different opinion, so before anyone goes sending emails and making phonecalls across the country complaining that I'm cutting apart someone's credibility, please note that this is merely an opinion backed up by some observations. It is not my intention whatsoever to attack anyone's credibility, as I hold the previous posters in high regard.

(Jeez... what has the world come to when I have to preface my posts by such disclaimers?) :-[

Based on the image provided, the OSD is in the correct location, as is the background lithographed layer, according to the cut. The only element out of position is the intaglio layer, which is shifted approximately 1cm or so to the left. So, if I were to classify this error, I would suggest that it be a "print out of register" error. The cut seems to be correct.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:41:47 pm »

BINGO! Brent.

I agree with your assessment, but your disclaimer needs work.  Yeesh!  What the heck were you thinking?!    

:)

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:24:25 pm »

With reference to the picture of the error note I posted in October (the picture can be seen a few posts above this one):

I've re-read the Error section in Charlton's, and the only category of error that comes close is (as mentioned above by other posters) the Out of Register printing error (aka error type E7 as shown on page 371 of the 19th edition).  However this description does not seem to capture the type of error I posted in October.

The error note I posted above has the lithographed printing in the correct position but only the intaglio printing is out of register.  Error E7 in the book seems to be defined as a note with the intaglio and litho printing marrying up normally, but the entire image on the front or back is out of its usual place.

Perhaps the category "out of register printing" is correct for this note, but there should be 2 varieties of E7 - one where the whole front or back image is printed out of register, and another where the intaglio and litho printing don't overlap as they should.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:29:52 pm by venga50 »

Login with username, password and session length