Author
Topic: Pre-polymer series purchasing problems  (Read 3856 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: November 15, 2014, 10:31:26 pm »

Might as well break up the monotony and start a discussion...

Has anyone yet encountered any problems using paper money to make purchases?  We all know that young people in the service industries have really short memories.  Money made of paper is probably ancient history to them.  Imagine that!  Our ancestors used to cut down trees in order to print money.  Have any forum members tried spending an old Journey series $5 or $10 bill and had the clerk at the cash register call their supervisor to check the note's authenticity or just ask if they still accept "old" notes?  Has anyone received funny looks or remarks in these situations?

No hay banda  
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:28:41 pm »

No problems yet. I'm still getting Journey $5 and $10 notes in my change from the neighbourhood smoke shop. The machine in my building's laundromat still accepts them, too. Maybe in a year or two there could be a problem.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:15:12 am »

About a month ago I had a little issue where a person at the Macs looked at my pre-security strip $10 note a little strange but the accepted it with the remark "That's strange, I didn't know that shiny strip would rub off ...I guess its just wear and tear".... :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:41:42 am »

Oh yes.

I spent a 2002 $5 about a two years ago at a pizza slice place. The cashier looked at it and said it must be fake because it is missing the silver stripe. I asked him how he had lived in Canada. He looked at me and frowned. "All my life," he said. I told him that if he lived in Canada between 2002 and 2006, then he should remember that these were the ordinary issue of $5 bill during that time, before the current issue with the metallic stripe replaced it. He looked at me like I was nuts, but he eventually accepted the note.

I also spent a 1986 $2 at a different pizza slice place a few weeks ago. The cashier said "cool! Let's see if it's real." He took it to the sink and ran some water over it. Then he scratched the intaglio ink with his fingernail. "Yes, this is good," he said. "1986 it says - that's older than I am."

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:53:03 pm »

I have a lot of fun with old money  :)

I spend Birds, multicoloured and the occasional 1954 note as tips at restaurants.  It's always fun to see the puzzled looks and smiles on people's faces.

Once though, I tried to leave a Voyageur dollar coin as a part of a tip and the waiter declined it because it would not fit into a coin roll...Oh well.  :P

Dean

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:47:57 pm »

Yes spending old money is great fun.

I spent a battered 1954 $10 at a gas station about 5 years ago. The cashier  did not want it. I told him it was still legal tender and that I didn't have anything else to pay for my gas with. He tried to say that the bank wouldn't accept it in the deposit. Then I gave him my driver's license and said,

"Here is my ID. You can write down my name, address, DL number. Here's my phone number too, you can cross reference it in the phone book. If the bank or the police or your boss or anyone else gives you any trouble about this $10, have them contact me and I will straighten them out. Not to worry."

That did the trick! He accepted the note.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length