Author
Topic: $5 HBG Polymer Macklem-Carney Prefix  (Read 51827 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2015, 08:09:00 am »

Looks like these notes are become more common by the month. I guess the prices for these note will drop.
especially if the ones being found are all unc :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
JB-2007
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:43 pm »

especially if the ones being found are all unc :)
Indeed two uncirculated notes like that, thats indication of full brick(s) circulated. It wouldn't surprise if HBG Macklem-Carney were to be circulated in full so that would mean more than 3,500,000 notes circulated. Certainly not good news for those that had paid >$300 for these notes and especially the one(s) who paid >$900 as seen on ebay.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2015, 09:01:35 pm »

Indeed two uncirculated notes like that, thats indication of full brick(s) circulated. It wouldn't surprise if HBG Macklem-Carney were to be circulated in full so that would mean more than 3,500,000 notes circulated.

This is great news!  However, I'm not sure I follow your logic.  Two HBG notes have been discovered in a range lower than we had expected:  Does that really mean we can jump to the conclusion there are "brick(s) circulated."  If that member who posted those low number notes actually found more M/C HBG (at the subsequent places he checked out) than that would definitely lead to some suspicions.  I understand that they are in great shape so that there may be more circulated than we previously expected- but brick(s)???

In an earlier post you stated:
Looks like these notes are become more common by the month.
Am I missing something? Right now there are 2 on that online auction site. A whopping 40 have been reported out of the nearly 2200 M/P HBG reported. There were 2 for auction when "Roberto" made his first startling claim ("MC HBG were common.")

Do you recall how long it was before the first M/C HBG was discovered? It seemed like it took forever for the next few to be reported and the reports slowly trickled in.  However, every collector (& his family :D) have been busy scrutinizing fives. On the SNDB 5 prefixes have over 5000 notes reported and equally as many have over 4000 notes reported (indicating that never have we scrutinized our notes like the polymer!) 

I mean this is the BOC we're talking about here.  When have they ever followed logic or what we expected?  ::)  We don't have to look that far back: take the partial release of 2011 M/C $5 prefixes for example.  3,500,000 HBG  seems astonishing - even 1000 (or a couple bundles) of M/C HBG sounds promising - but I'm not sure I'd crack open the champaign just yet.

JB-2007
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »

Indeed it is too early to say the outcome of these notes, but i just don't think they are rare notes. There is no logic in the way the bank of canada circulate notes. It is possible too that these notes could be similar to the famous 2003 $10 BEL and BER prefix where there were only released in scattered batches and still today the number of these notes that exist are slim.
Roberto
  • cpms 1223
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2015, 04:37:42 pm »

the unc is arriving, the prices is falling :D ::) :'(
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 04:45:34 pm »

the unc is arriving, the prices is falling :D ::) :'(
Hopefully in my area too :)

Roberto
  • cpms 1223
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 04:49:41 pm »

one for sale, one for retain O:-)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 05:24:26 am »

The discussion would seem to be about the rarity of Macklem-Carney HBG notes, but I think more of you are concerned with the value of these notes.  Rarity and value correlate loosely.  The fact that many are turning up on eBay with some hefty prices is probably irksome and the cause of disagreement more than the actual number of notes that have been documented.

Anyhow, if we're really interested in rarity, here are some current numbers pulled from the SNDB...

$50 Macklem-Carney AMK: 5 recorded
$20 Macklem-Carney BSW: 7 recorded
$10 Macklem-Carney FTH: 8 recorded
$100 Macklem-Carney EKZ: 15 recorded
$5 Macklem-Carney HBG: 41 recorded + 2 reported but not submitted
$5 Macklem-Carney HAL: 61 recorded (but only 5 since September 2013)

No hay banda  
skaha_boy
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2015, 01:05:54 am »

Today my friend and I went to different banks in our town and asked for 300$ of five's. No Macklem-Carney's. We also ask for our change in five's all the time. We also asked the bank tellers and some cashiers in stores to check if they had some in their register. None found. Seems like I've been very lucky to find two on the same day. Today someone on another forum that I take part in reported that he found one in another city in quebec far from mine, with a very close serial number to the two ones I have. Seems like that "brick" is spread into different cities.
AZ
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »

Rare no more, I guess... There is another Unc M/C $5 on eBay, with the starting bid of only C$200. The serial is HBG 0803339. Too bad I spent a lot of money on a circulated note back in the summer, but so did many others. No regrets though, the gambling is a part of the hobby.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »

Why buy just one for that price?  You can get HBG0803345-6, a consecutive pair, for just $379 BIN.  And it's in Canadian dollars, too!! :)

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:26 pm »

Why buy just one for that price?  You can get HBG0803345-6, a consecutive pair, for just $379 BIN.  And it's in Canadian dollars, too!! :)
or from same seller 1 GEM UNC for 200 bucks only a few serial number off the pair
 .... looks like bundles and bricks seeming more of a reality...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:54:46 pm by friedsquid »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 08:22:39 pm »

The discussion would seem to be about the rarity of Macklem-Carney HBG notes,

I was hoping not to debate the "rarity" point in my post.  I was just curious how some forum members leapt to the conclusion that the HBG was so common suddenly (bricks were released). Did they have info I was unaware of?  What was the evidence?  Subsequent links supporting further sales may suggest that.

I also wanted to point out that polymer fives are the most scrutinized denomination.  We hardly have similar numbers of notes reported in the higher denominations.

I agree that "rarity and value correlate loosely."  Would the other rare prefixes such as:
$50 Macklem-Carney AMK: 5 recorded
...$100 Macklem-Carney EKZ: 15 recorded

-  command such extreme premiums as witnessed with the M-C $5 HBG? I doubt it.  I'm not sure they have the same appeal (a different signature than almost the entire group of fives & subsequent new signature combos we'll see on the fives).  Perhaps the $10 M-C FTH or $20 BSW will see high mark-ups but there will be a lot of collectors who will be reluctant having once felt bitten by M-C HBG craze.  Generally speaking - I have seen a much greater interest in change-overs recently.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 03:13:12 am »

7 Unc HBG Macklem-Carney notes sold on eBay in the past 24 hours.  Yes, seven!  Three more listed.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 09:07:45 am »

7 Unc HBG Macklem-Carney notes sold on eBay in the past 24 hours.  Yes, seven!  Three more listed.
Wonder how soon it will be before I can pick one up for 50 bucks...or maybe less ??? ;D

Login with username, password and session length