Author
Topic: FEX prefix found on $10 note  (Read 16988 times)
Pooga56
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:32 pm »

A tracker on cdn-money.com has reportedly found a $10 note with the prefix FEX.

He is reputable member of that site, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Could FEX have been printed and released?

He has promised me a picture if he still has it.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »

Highly doubtful, but I've been wrong before.  My expectation is that this is either a simple typo (and is really a different prefix), or the note is a forgery.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:27 pm »

I agree that picture would go a long way to resolving this.  Failing that, I would expect it's a typo since the X key is right next to the Z key on a standard keyboard, and typos are so easy to make with today's shrinking technology.

Given that the letter X was not even available with the Journey series, I would be surprised if it made a return to the equipment used to put serial numbers on polymer notes.  There is no logical reason why X can't be used on Canadian notes.  It has been nearly two decades since X replacements were phased out, and that was on the Birds series which had a completely different font for prefixes and serial numbers.

No hay banda  
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:07:48 am »

I agree that picture would go a long way to resolving this.  Failing that, I would expect it's a typo since the X key is right next to the Z key on a standard keyboard, and typos are so easy to make with today's shrinking technology.

I can confirm that typos happens easily all the time specially when entering notes in SNDB.

In fact the note reported in SNDB on FTP, FTR, & FTV by myself are all typos/errors. Somehow emails sent to the CPMF Serial Number Database team to correct these errors in DEC, JAN & FEB have yet been taken care of.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:07:36 am »

In fact the note reported in SNDB on FTP, FTR, & FTV by myself are all typos/errors. Somehow emails sent to the CPMF Serial Number Database team to correct these errors in DEC, JAN & FEB have yet been taken care of.

I don't personally monitor that inbox, but the person who does has not notified me of any corrections that need to be made.  I'll look into it now and fix what I can find emails for.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 02:21:18 pm »

I don't personally monitor that inbox, but the person who does has not notified me of any corrections that need to be made.  I'll look into it now and fix what I can find emails for.

Brent, thanks very much for taking care of them.

Login with username, password and session length