Author
Topic: BOC to issue a commemorative bank note marking the historic reign of QEII  (Read 35695 times)
johnh727
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:07 pm »

Sadly we did not find those notes.  The branch had 1000 new 20's in 10X100 note bundles with special BOC wrappers.   The 100 note bundles seemed very mixed up, I was very happy to find this one.
JB-2007
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Just picked mine up today at a RBC in downtown Calgary.   It helps to know the central teller.  :-*

Very nice! I bet its a keeper?  :)
bricker
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 12:09:11 pm »

I've gone thru 6 bundles (600 notes) so far, mainly motivated by the awesome FWS 1000000 note found by johnh77 in Calgary on Sept 14. I'm using two branches of RBC in Montreal and running bundles back and forth one at a time (taking note of the numbers and plates for the SNDB of course). I was able to get within 177 notes (or two bundles) of FWT 1001001, which would be a binary, 2 digit radar, rotator, repeater...i.e. the most awesome note EVER!

But the bundles are not in sequence, serails totally unpredictable, and the tellers are getting frustrated with my clear abuse of the banking system. Apparently they seem to feel they do not exist solely to fulfil my personal need to find certain serial numbers on certain bank notes!  Some of them are friendly and cooperative and others are downright hostile...like johnh77 said it helps if you know the head teller.

So far the coolest note I found is FWT 0995099 28 28 (a four digit repeater) probably UNC-63 since it went thru the automatic counter  >:-(

If the notes come out of the automatic dispenser or an ATM the holograph is ruined, so I always ask for bundles which they keep in the back room, which means two tellers have to fetch them and this can take a while. Ideally, a bundle has a BOC wrapper around it and hologram scratches are minimal. The tellers will run new BOC bundles through their counter at least once unless you specifically ask them not to, in which case A) you will get a lecture about the bank accepting no responsibilty if there is a missing note, and B) you'll get a few UNC-65 gems without counting marks or scratches if you're lucky. I've never had a 'back-room' bundle or brick missing a note so I would definitely go this route.

I think its time to order a brick...single bundles rarely have anything good!   

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »

I was able to get within 177 notes (or two bundles) of FWT 1001001, which would be a binary, 2 digit radar, rotator, repeater...i.e. the most awesome note EVER!
actually it would not be a rotator

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
iwantitall
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 08:57:29 pm »

here are  mine. two banks
{http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img661/3078/mKgAfL.jpg:http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img661/3078/mKgAfL.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:00:47 am by BWJM »

npcoins
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2015, 08:33:18 pm »

I have been getting mine all at 1 RBC branch, and the bundle is in sequence. I have gotten 11 notes so far on 3 occasions and that are all within about 30 notes of each other.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 10:46:30 am »

I wonder if this commemorative note will continue to the end of the polymer frontiers series?  Every day, the queen adds to her historic reign, so it seems appropriate to do so.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »

I wonder if this commemorative note will continue to the end of the polymer frontiers series?  Every day, the queen adds to her historic reign, so it seems appropriate to do so.
There will be 40,000,000 notes produced, so four prefixes (if they run from 0000000 to 9999999).  I expect that this will be a "mini-series" inside the regular 2012 series, much like the 1967 $1s were surrounded by the 1954s.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:34 pm »

here are  mine. two banks

It looks like you had two bricks to work with. To get three radars like that in one brick I think would not be that common.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 11:54:27 am »

What this entails:  BoC wants to track the flow of bank notes, enabling them to use correlation analysis, and for the BoC to better understand the flow of bank notes across the country between financial institutions. 

As a result, the $20 Commemorative Note Issue is being used as a Pilot Proposal for this new data capturing process (by implementing new techniques using BA International).

The BoC will have real-time quality assessment, and circulation performance of it's supply chain.   The currency data used will provide BoC will timely data information on note flows to support counterfeit deterrence, circulation data can be linked to postal code/census data.  It can also provide estimate income by regional note flows, and estimate unreported income.   There will be a better understanding of national note flows and impact on quality of polymer notes.   

The BoC is data mining using the currency's serial numbers, and are using the $20 commemorative polymer note as a pilot for this new process.

Does anyone have any more info about this? Over at Where's Willy we are all wondering why only two of the 650 2015 $20s entered so far have been found and hit again. No other current series/denomination has had such a miserable return rate after the first 10 weeks of it being issued. I'm wondering if what I quoted above has anything to do with it.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »

"As a result, the $20 Commemorative Note Issue is being used as a Pilot Proposal for this new data capturing process (by implementing new techniques using BA International)."

Does this mean that the entire run of commemorative $20s can be considered test notes?  :)

Farmor
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 11:37:08 pm »

Are people still finding these bills new at their banks or do I have to purchase them on the secondary market?  I have not seen any of these bills in NE Alberta yet.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2016, 09:14:24 am »

I have pulled exactly two of these from ATMs in Vancouver over the last four months, including one last week. Not many around.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 03:48:49 pm »

I have pulled exactly two of these from ATMs

I rarely get these from ATM's but can get between 7-10 per 100 notes withdrawn on average.  Just below 10% yield so they're not diminishing much here in in Ontario. 

JB-2007
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2016, 09:42:10 pm »

Are people still finding these bills new at their banks or do I have to purchase them on the secondary market?  I have not seen any of these bills in NE Alberta yet.

interesting... they're not hard to find. i would agree with the ratio mentioned in the previous post made by walktothewater. Roughly 1 in every 10 20's. Perhaps they are more common in major cities.

Login with username, password and session length