Author
Topic: Bank Note Production Data and Bank of Canada  (Read 3550 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:02:42 pm »

It seems that the major source of Canadian bank note production information comes from information in the GPM Catalogue and the information in the SNDB.

The SNDB provides the lowest number and highest numbers of the notes (presumably from data from BoC) at changes in dates, signatures etc. Everything in between it would seem in interpreted.

The GPM simply provides the quantities of each prefix combination and it appears to be based on data of highs and lows similar to the one in the SNDB.

This presumes that all the notes between the highs and lows which are either gotten from BoC or catalogued in some form of registry are actually printed. (Of course if they are circulated or not is another question based on the recent experience from the $5-M/C notes)

Some recent research led me to the information produced in the US by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and the Federal Reserve which is much more detailed. The monthly production data gives details about each series and the ranges actually produced. It can be found here:

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/resources/productionmonthly.html

The only thing that the BoC produces is the quantity of bank notes by denomination that are outstanding. There is no resolution based on serial numbers.

Does anyone know if more detailed information is available from BoC?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »

The Bank of Canada does not produce anything of the sort.  I've been asking them for information for a decade now.  If they were even a fraction as forthcoming with data as their American counterparts, that would make my life so much easier.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length