Author
Topic: Cut Date on Polymer $20 - Have You Seen This Condition?  (Read 11961 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:45 pm »

The image depicts the Issue Date taken from two $20 Polymer notes. The Issue date is located on the Front, Top and Left of the Hologram.

The top portion of the image is from a "normal" note.

The bottom portion is from a note where the portion of the text has been cut off.

I have run into this "cut" condition in a range of prefixes always at the same position number.

I am wondering if this condition is related to a flaw in the plate used for these range of prefixes (or of course it could be something else during production or post-production).

This condition is readily visible without the use of any magnification. If you have seen a note like this and by any chance are able to share with me the prefix and serial number along with the position number it would be tremendously helpful in some research that I am doing.

My plan is to share this information publicly, eventually, but I do not want to share the position number now to prevent any biases in the work that I am doing.

If you have any information please PM me.

Thank you

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »

You may click the thumbnail for a magnified view.

Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:30 pm »

imho its more likely an obstruction during printing.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:12:33 am »

imho its more likely an obstruction during printing.

To the best of my knowledge and information that particular printing is done using "offset printing" method.

Generally speaking in an offset printing process  unless there was some obstruction on the printing substrate (i.e. the polymer sheet) any other obstruction would still result in some form of inking.

For example if there was obstruction on the plate that provides the impression then the thing that creates the obstruction will receive the ink and that ink will get transferred to the blanket which will in turn get transferred to the paper. In fact it will be worse because the obstruction will receive full ink. One exception to this is if the obstruction itself is so precisely averse to receiving ink on it.

If there was an obstruction on any of the blankets then the ink would still get on to the obstruction and then get transferred on to the substrate.

The classic manifestation of an obstruction is generally a hickey which shows up on the substrate typically in a doughnut form. However void hickeys are possible and perhaps could result in a non inked area. Most modern printers will have some mechanism to automatically remove hickeys or at the very least these hickeys will occur for a certain number of prints at the most.

What I am reporting is something that has been observed in precisely the same location and spanning many thousands of imprints.

Based on my knowledge of the offset printing process I am not sure if there is any other type of obstruction that would create such a precisely located area of missing ink over that many number of imprints.

If you have any further insight it would be appreciated if you can share it.

Thx.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:02:11 pm »

(A click on the image will get you to a larger version)

For anyone interested in this condition a paper has been published in the most current CPMS Journal. The affected position number is 61.

If you have a banknote with Position Number 61 and with a prefix of BIE to BIZ and BSA to BSW it would be highly appreciated if you check it and see if it does or does not have this condition. If you have banknote with this condition with any other position number then it would be appreciated if you can kindly send me an image of the front showing the condition and the position number

If you will be so kind enough to PM your findings (whether this condition exists or not) I will provide you with a copy of the table with the affected ranges within those prefixes.

Thank you

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:34:48 pm »

Still looking - PN 61 from BIE to BSW. All I need is Serial Number and whether the "Issue" is truncated (bottom image) or not (top image).

You will be recognized (with your permission) for your assistance in further articles written on this topic.

Thank you

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:46:22 pm »

Still looking - PN 61 from BIE to BSW. All I need is Serial Number and whether the "Issue" is truncated (bottom image) or not (top image).

You will be recognized (with your permission) for your assistance in further articles written on this topic.

Thank you

Thank you for the forum members who took time to forward this information. I notice that a lot of BIE to BSV are still being entered in the SNDB. It would be very helpful if you are able to provide information about notes with PN61. It would be very helpful in writing a follow-up with updated information. I would very much appreciate information from those outside of Ontario.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:54 am »

I am running into lesser and lesser polymer $20's with PN61.

The frequency of encountering BIE to BSV relative to other polymer prefixes is reducing. I am not sure if it is because of more notes in the other prefixes replacing journey notes or if BIE to BSV's are being retired with a greater frequency.  In any case the reduction in frequency of finding PN61 is much higher compared to the overall reduction in the frequency of finding BIE to BSV. It is my hypothesis that this is because $20 polymer notes with PN61 are proactively being removed from circulation.

There is something similar with respect to printing variation that I have noticed in other polymer notes that is indicative of printing plate related issue. I am currently in the process of cataloging the frequency before I share this information. Once I share it it will allow me to test my hypothesis.

If anyone is seeing PN61 $20's I would appreciate if you can share your findings.

Thank you

The image depicts the Issue Date taken from two $20 Polymer notes. The Issue date is located on the Front, Top and Left of the Hologram.

The top portion of the image is from a "normal" note.

The bottom portion is from a note where the portion of the text has been cut off.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

(Click above thumbnail to get higher resolution view)

I would like to thank all the forum members who have been sending me their finds of the BIE to BSV with PN 61. I am currently updating an article that was written on this subject in a CPMS Journal. I am hoping to submit the updated article for consideration to an upcoming CPMS Journal. There is a fairly good idea as to which prefixes are affected and it also begins to tell a story about possible sequence in which the prefixes may have been printed.

One particular aspect that I can share with the forum members is that there are three distinct variants of the truncation. For simplification I am calling them Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3. Each type affects specific range of prefix-serial number combinations. The above image shows the normal and the three types. Although the printing intensity within each type may be lighter or darker the key "signature" of the variant remains the same.

In the last 8 months or so the rate of finding BIE to BSV in a mix of $20 notes from circulation has been going down from about 33% to about 27%. In the last few months the percentage has been steady at 27%. However the chance of finding one with PN61 has essentially reverted from 2% to 0% of the notes in the BIE to BSV range.

Beatrix
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:55 pm »

This is the first time I'm stumbling across this topic and it seems very interesting. I looked through my wallet just now cause I have a few B 20s and sure enough I have a BIU with 61 - unfortunately, no error. :( I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the info!
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:30:26 am »

This is the first time I'm stumbling across this topic and it seems very interesting. I looked through my wallet just now cause I have a few B 20s and sure enough I have a BIU with 61 - unfortunately, no error. :( I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the info!

The BIU that are affected are in the 8.1 range. BIU in 1.3 range are partly affected. BIU in the 3.6 and 5.8 appear to be unaffected and there is no record for BIU in the 9.6 range. All BIU are Type 1.

If you noted the serial number of your BIU it would help tremendously if you can kindly share it.

In the article I will be writing I will be explaining why there are ranges where both affected and unaffected notes are found in the same range.

Thank you for sharing your find.

Beatrix
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

I sent you a PM but I don't see it in my outbox. Did you get it?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 11:42:21 pm »

I did - thank you. Much appreciated.

In order for you to see the message sent in your outbox you have to tell it to specifically save it there otherwise it does not do it.

Login with username, password and session length