Author
Topic: Where do you look for a rare coin/banknote ?  (Read 4795 times)
Sonofzzoro
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:40 am »

If you are looking for a rare banknote, how do you find it ?

Do you contact your local coin shop ? Do they contact other coins shops in their network ? Check EBay ? Check this site ? Ask friends ?

I have some for sale but this question has nothing to do with these.

This is more of a broader question. If you were looking for the best possible graded 1959 silver dollar ( for example ), what resources would you use.

Very much appreciate the responses in advance.
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:47:50 am »

Your best bet is to attend a major coin/paper money event in your nearest major city. In Montreal we have Nuphilex twice a year and its a great show with lots of dealers buying and selling their stuff. If you are looking for a particular item you can keep contacts and they can find what you are looking for. Check out this link for the 2015 calendar:
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=3814.0
Sonofzzoro
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I am not really looking for anything specific, I am just interested in where people who do a lot of collecting would look. As in the example I mentioned, if someone was looking for the 1959 silver dollar, would they have to attend many shows to find the best one, and ultimately rely on finding a dealer/friend who knows someone who has one for sale.

Thanks
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I am not really looking for anything specific, I am just interested in where people who do a lot of collecting would look. As in the example I mentioned, if someone was looking for the 1959 silver dollar, would they have to attend many shows to find the best one, and ultimately rely on finding a dealer/friend who knows someone who has one for sale.

Thanks

you can always post a thread on the trading post on this forum for what you are looking for...you may be surprised at not only what members may have for sale, but also how members can direct you to what you are looking for...whether it is something they have, they have seen going up for auction, or know other private collectors that may be interested in selling...
from first hand experience I have found many items I was looking for through other members....you will never find what your looking for unless you ask :)
good luck

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Sonofzzoro
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:41 pm »

Thanks

Login with username, password and session length