Author
Topic: Polymer Missing Holograph Errors  (Read 28760 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:31:42 pm »

Cool - I'd like to know how to do that, just so I can have such a 'novelty' note.

Meaning how to send a note by mail and automatically have it received without a hologram?

Probably the same process that removed the hologram in the postal transition also removed the hologram from those that have been reported to be found in bricks and certified by BCS :D

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »

I sold an UNC $10 M/P FTS note to a buyer in Saskatchewan last week. Today it appeared on eBay as a "missing hologram" error, being sold under a different eBay account. See item 172068984456. On the image below, the top two notes are the shoulders I still have, the third note is the "error".

I sent a very stern warning to the seller of this banknote making him/her aware of the fact that eBay and the authorities have been notified that this note has been fraudulently altered.  I am not surprised that the seller then proceeded to end the auction listing promptly.  Unfortunately I have no way of notifying eBay buyers of previous altered hologram notes from this same seller.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »

If somebody wanted to fraudulently alter a note and sell it on eBay, why would he use a note that he himself bought on eBay? The original owner might see his listing, which is exactly what happened here. Why not get your own notes from the bank? I don't understand some people...

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 12:28:00 am »

If somebody wanted to fraudulently alter a note and sell it on eBay, why would he use a note that he himself bought on eBay? The original owner might see his listing, which is exactly what happened here. Why not get your own notes from the bank? I don't understand some people...

Stupid is as stupid does.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 08:48:45 am »

Having spent many years working with law enforcement, primarily in the area of cybercrime, I have come to realize that most criminals are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

I have no idea why this eBay seller would buy a currently issued polymer note on eBay then alter it and try to sell it back on eBay.  What is most astounding is that the seller when confronted with their fraudulent activity and the evidence at hand, denies any wrongdoing and asserts the error note is 100% authentic.  Needless to say they ended the auction early when I contacted them and made their eBay feedback private in an effort to hide their past sales of bogus notes.  Boggles the mind.

And in the same vein, here is a link to a recent news clip from Idaho where two drug traffickers, obviously high on their own product and carrying 20 lbs. of weed, became so paranoid that the police were following them that they called 911 and turned themselves in.  It is worth watching.  You can't fix stupid.

https://www.facebook.com/KnucklesRap/videos/791808340929169/

Arthur Richards
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 10:17:04 pm »

I sold an UNC $10 M/P FTS note to a buyer in Saskatchewan last week. Today it appeared on eBay as a "missing hologram" error, being sold under a different eBay account. See item 172068984456. On the image below, the top two notes are the shoulders I still have, the third note is the "error".

Just an update on the eBay seller who miraculously turned a normal $10 polymer note into a missing hologram note (not to be confused with turning water into wine).

He changed his eBay User ID today from "mar-ti4" to "e-spooner64". 

He can run, but he can't hide.

Arthur Richards
AZ
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 11:20:06 am »

Another one of these "Missing Hologram" notes appeared on eBay, see item 252340836699. The seller is in BC.
AZ
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:22 pm »

One more of these, see item 282166343923 on eBay. The note is cerified by BCS. Have not they said they do not certify these errors? Also, the term Holograph on the BCS sleeve is absolutely incorrect, it needs to be Hologram.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 01:02:26 am »

I find these altered notes being around a lot more, as of late.  In my opinion, I don't believe BCS should be grading these notes as it kind of legitimizes these so-called errors.   

I also find that BCS makes typos here and there on their certificates.  Yes, it should be "hologram", instead of "holograph".

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 12:49:17 am »

The note is cerified by BCS. Have not they said they do not certify these errors?

This is what BCS had to say about error notes not too long ago (under their FAQ section):

2.   Will my error note receive appropriate certification?

Error notes will not be certified. The variation in error notes is too broad and open to interpretation.

This is what BCS says about error notes today in the same section:

2.   Will my error note receive appropriate certification?

Your note will receive a error recognition under the comments section for a limited number of error types. BCS reserves the right to not recognize any type of error.

I don't know whether the note mentioned in this post was certified after the change or before. This much I know for sure that there was a note from a well known and established
e-bay seller which was also certified by BCS and that was put up for sale on e-bay when BCS was saying that "error notes will not be certified"

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 08:46:19 am »

I emailed BCS the other day about this thread.  Mr. Bell's response was,
BCS no longer recognizes the missing hologram error, and hasn’t for a good year or so, because it’s too reproducible.  Only a few notes, maybe seven or so, made it out certified as missing hologram.  This was an error on my part.

It would seem to me that this was a temporary issue which has since been plugged.  That doesn't do anything though about the handful of notes out there that have been certified, nor can much be done at this point.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length