Author
Topic: Grading a BOC banknote.  (Read 5239 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »

Hi,

I have a 1954 BOC note. The note is crisp, the colors are not faded or worn. The note has not been processed or washed. The corners of the note are not rounded, there are no pen marks on the bill. The bill has no tape on it also bill has no tears. None of the corners are folded. However, the note has about three light vertical creases and one semi-strong vertical fold, some of the fibers are broken on the center fold. The note is not soiled in any way nor does the note have any foxing marks or stains. The boarders of the note are still white. The note is very clean with no smudging in the inks. The note is printed a bit off center. The note is printed high on the top and a bit to the left. The note is not well centered. Larger boarders on the bottom and the right hand margin. I was going to grade the note VF. The problem I have is the note has a couple of pinholes made by a staple in the upper left hand corner of the note. According to the ICG grading system, the only grades where holes are evident on the bill is "very good" and lower. But the note doesn't have any other characteristics of the lower grades of very good and below, so I thought the note should grade higher than just "very good".
I.E. if you had a perfect UNC note, except for a staple hole, would that drop the note all the way down to VG grade? Some clarification on this question would be appreciated.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »

"A note with portions missing should be graded as if it were a whole note, then the amount missing should be fully described." (from http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=129.0)

Grade it as if it didn't have the holes, and then mention that it has holes. ("EF with staple holes"). It can't really be boiled down to a single grade. Remember that the grade assigned to a note should fit the note in question. Don't try and do it the other way around by making the note fit some existing grade.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length