Author
Topic: royal bank 1912 (proposed) ten dollar bank note  (Read 3929 times)
milohiks
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:58:44 pm »

Hello all, I am newby here. I do collect, but not paper money. Hope that's OK. I have a question. This 1912 proposed Royal Bank ten dollar note had the image of a four-funnel passenger liner.

The minister of trade and commerce George Foster knew about the CPR's proposed liner in February 1912. How did the never-built ship make it to a bank note?

Anybody got any idea about a direct link with a government official? Perhaps Foster was a director of the bank. Were the banks answerable to the the dept of trade and commerce and not finance?

I am looking for any link I can find to explain the never issued note. Can you think of a possible reading source for me?

Much appreciated.  Milo Hicks, North Vanocuver
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:19:39 pm »

Helo Milo,

Here is the link to an excellent 2014 article written by Ronald Greene that provides the most comprehensive answer to your question.  Hope this helps.

http://www.nauticapedia.ca/Articles/Banknotes_Ships.php

I have also attached an image of a proof from the ABNCo of this note (from the Ronald Greene Collection).

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length