Author
Topic: Replacement note find  (Read 4726 times)
techwriter
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:43:42 pm »

Found this at a big coin show today.  Gotta love coin shows.  The price was really sweet so I
opened the wallet and brought her home.
 :)
==

==
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:24:51 am »

when looking at the back bottom right corner of the note is there a crease?
who is this TPG? anyone know much about them?
they do have a website and are fairly new as a TPG...any comments...

I also saw that an UNC 62 can have "Excessive margin asymmetry, major handling and corner folds not in the design" ....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:31:35 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
techwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 09:58:32 am »

friedsquid, well I put the note on a light table and then closely examined it with a high
intensity LED light.  There "seems" to be a depression in the lower LEFT corner of the face and
a slight "hump" in the lower right of the reverse.  The edges of the note in that area show no
signs of "disturbance".  Is it a "fold",  don't know.
I reviewed the grading standards of the IBNS (International Bank Note Society):
"UNCIRCULATED (UNC): A perfectly preserved note, never mishandled by the issuing authority, a bank teller, the public or a collector. Paper is clean and firm, without discoloration. Corners are sharp and square, without any evidence of rounding. (Rounded corners are often telltale sign of a cleaned or “doctored” note.) An uncirculated note will have its original natural sheen.

NOTE: Some note issues are most often available with slight evidence of counting folds (creases). Also, French-printed notes usually have a sight ripple in the paper. Many collectors and dealers often refer to such a note as AU-UNC."

Maybe what we're observing is a counting fold. ??  Oh well, it is a nice note and the cost was quite reasonable.  Thanks for your observations and comments.
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 10:09:09 am »

As long as you didn't pay more than $50 than i think you got a nice note at a good price.
techwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:14 am »

As long as you didn't pay more than $50 than i think you got a nice note at a good price.

Good, then I got a nice note at a good price.  Thank you.

Login with username, password and session length