Author
Topic: Canadian woman on our $20 bill preferable to King Charles  (Read 5459 times)
suretteda
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:28:03 pm »

More and more countries are dropping portraits of royalty and political figures from their currency, and replacing them with historical figures who made names for themselves in other ways—in music, science, art, literature, engineering, medicine, etc. It would be a refreshing change to see that here in Canada too.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:17:40 pm »

More and more countries are dropping portraits of royalty and political figures from their currency, and replacing them with historical figures who made names for themselves in other ways—in music, science, art, literature, engineering, medicine, etc. It would be a refreshing change to see that here in Canada too.
- I agree  :)

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:45:45 pm »

So does that mean Trump will be on the next US currency

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

So does that mean Trump will be on the next US currency

He's already set to be on bullion.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Bob
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:37:42 am »

Well, this old monarchist utterly disagrees, and I don't consider myself any less a Canadian for that.  I don't think any Bank of Canada issue has ever outshone the 1935 issue, which as everybody knows featured members of the royal family on every denomination from $1 to $100.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:22:01 am »

I'm going to side (somewhat) with Bob on this one.  The Queen (or King as time will undoubtedly cause to rise) should at the bare minimum be featured prominently on all of our coinage, and at least one banknote, preferably the most common.  In other words, maintain the status quo.  Other prominent Canadians from our history deserve to be featured on our banknotes.  I don't have a strong opinion about maintaining Laurier, MacDonald, King and Borden, but I think it would be quite appropriate to do so and to use the back sides to celebrate other people and/or Canadian themes.  Perhaps the back could have both a thematic design and a portrait of a Canadian associated with that theme?

Where I differ with Bob is his preference for putting a broad selection of the Royal Family on display.  The sovereign gets their due, but the rest can wait their turn.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:10 pm »

100%

And if this is to be the first of the next series in 2018, then that makes the Frontier series the second shortest lived after the 1935.

Marc :)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:26 am »

Sweden's smart looking notes, released only a few months ago, feature personalities from the arts on five out of six denominations, with diplomat Dag Hammerskjöld on the other. No royalty or politicians.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length