Poll

Would you be interested in a Toronto or an Ontario Chapter of the IBNS ?

Yes
3 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 06, 2016, 05:30:08 pm

Author
Topic: Proposed Toronto or Ontario Chapter of the International Bank Note Society  (Read 6024 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101

There is an active IBNS Chapter in Vancouver... I was wondering if anyone was interested in a Toronto or Ontario Chapter?
Would you attend meetings?  Would you attend only if meetings were within "x" km of your home?  Should meeting be held in concert with other conventions or shows?  If so, which ones.  Any comments?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

As an IBNS member myself, I've noted a while ago that there was no local chapter in Ontario despite the broad base of collectors here.

I would like to see an Ontario chapter, but if the meetings were held in Toronto somewhere (where they likely ought to be), it would be beyond my means to attend.

If a chapter is created, meetings should be held monthly, in my opinion, much like a local coin club would, and much like most other chapters seem to do.

Holding meetings at (for example) the RCNA convention or ONA convention or even Coin Expo or Torex crowds an already busy day, and many people who would want to attend would not because they wish to attend the show or other meetings at the same venue.  As an example, I know of several executive members of various organizations who almost never attend their meetings at the RCNA convention due to wanting to be on the bourse floor or other conflicts.

I had the luxury once of attending a meeting of the Sydney Australia chapter.  It was a very informal affair held in the meeting room of a coin dealer's shop.  Everyone sat around the table for what was mostly a "show and tell" sort of thing.  I forget if they preplanned a theme or not.  They also shared some general news.

During that same trip to Australia, I attended a convention hosted by the Sydney chapter with strong attendance from members of the Perth and Melbourne chapters.  It is entirely different from what we would consider a convention to be.  They had a moderately sized room at a hotel, and the program was essentially two days of members giving talks on various subjects relating to their areas of interest.  The talks often included a powerpoint presentation and usually coincided with an exhibit that the presenter put together.  An array of exhibits were set up around the outside of the room and all attendees (including myself) judged the exhibits.  We had breaks for tea and lunch through the day.  There was no bourse, but members were welcome to trade among themselves during the breaks.  The annual convention rotates between the three chapters each year.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101

:-[ Hmm...  100% concurrence but a sample size of 2 means that this survey is lacking statistical significance. 
I'll leave the survey run for a few more weeks.   

Manada
  • Very Senior Member

If I had extra time I would love to attend these meetings, but unfortunately at the moment that is something I just don't have these days  >:(

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian

Login with username, password and session length