Author
Topic: 1954 Devil's Face $1 sequential notes  (Read 7347 times)
sniper69
« on: June 02, 2016, 08:05:05 pm »

Hello, I am new to the forum and collecting money. I acquired so old money and have no idea it's worth. I have a set of 5  devils face $1 bills and another set of 3 Devils face $1 bills. Just wondering what they may be worth? They are AE prefixes and Coyne-Towers signatures. Any thoughts

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:18:27 pm by BWJM »
Northwest5
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:13:59 pm »

Hello
We really need to see them as well as for you to describe there condition.  PLease take a couple of pics and post them along with a description about creases, bends, holes and general wear.  A great reference for condition and value is the Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Banknotes, which you can look at in your library.  Hope this helps, Murray
Northwest5
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:22 pm »

Pictures definitely help.  Your notes are worth $80 if About Uncirculated (AU) which they look like to me.  Some are wavy and likely folded or been in a wallet, possibly some would be Uncirculated which would bump them to $150 each.  Most people believe consecutive notes have no extra value, but there are collectors our there who may pay a premium for consecutive notes.  Hope that helps, Murray   
sniper69
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:18 pm »

Thanks for the info Murry very helpful,from the reading I just did I would say they are AU but I could be wrong.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:47:29 am »

Most people believe consecutive notes have no extra value, but there are collectors our there who may pay a premium for consecutive notes.

I believe that most collectors (& dealers) view consecutive notes as an opportunity to get a discount (& rightly so).  I don't know anyone who pays more for quantity of anything.  Yes, a few people do pay a premium for consecutive notes (no matter what they are) but these are usually dabblers in the hobby (& that's okay- just don't fall under the impression that this is the norm).

There are a few occasions when experienced collectors/dealers may be willing to pay a premium for consecutive UNCIRCULATED rare notes.  Devil Face notes (especially ones) are not considered that rare.   They're simply popular (& that is usually what drives up their BV).  Only their replacements (or change-overs & some denominations $5 or $1000 are harder to come by) and will command greater interest amongst the collecting community. 

IMO: The notes definitely look about AU with edge wear (they have been circulated).  It would be easier to assess their individual grades with a view of their back sides.  If you like consecutive notes you may wish to sell 1 or 2 of the set of 5.

sniper69
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 01:28:49 am »

Thanks for the info walktothewater, that is kinda what I was thinking about the consecutive bills. I have never collected money before I just got these in a deal on something else. Not sure exactly what I will do with the bills. I also got some 1954 $2 bills and 1937 $5-$10 bills, might have to start collecting lol

Login with username, password and session length