Author
Topic: Two Coloured Note  (Read 7311 times)
tomaka64
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:11:51 pm »

Recently acquired note that appears to have a Blue back.  Looking closely with my loupe it appears to be genuine but I have not heard of such an error.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
tomaka64
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:42 pm »

Trying to add pic...newbie!...gave up.

Any advice on adding a pic would be appreciated.

The note is a $1 Devil's Face.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »

This can happen with when exposed to sunlight.

Gary_T
Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 05:48:59 pm »

It's not an error.  Blue backs are rather well known on 1937 and 1954 $1s but they didn't start out that way.  My understanding is that putting them through the laundry (in a pocket, say) with a particular detergent caused this colour change. 
Green is the result of mixing blue and yellow pigments; take out the yellow chemically, and voila!  a blue back. 
The composition of the green ink used on the faces must have been different because the green seems to survive the reaction that changes the back colour.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Snoman
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:32:38 am »

Its the intaglio ink that is susceptible to colour change due to sun exposure or chemical treatment, on the face of the note the intaglio ink is black and not as susceptible to fading or change. The back ground printing on the front of the notes is a different type of ink for offset printing and it can be changed as well but with different chemicals than the intaglio ink. Thats why the back and front don't match when a note has been affected by certain chemicals. If you had a red one dollar note from 1937 or 1954, now that would be interesting.
tomaka64
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:45:31 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't think the bill was washed or subject to chemicals  because of it's condition and lack of unusual smell.

Sunlight may be the reason but the blue is so true to me I am not sure.

Perhaps I will send it to get graded and see if they have any opinions.

I was hoping for a new fishing boatjavascript:replaceText('%20:(',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Going to try a host it pic....still having issues!

Merry Christmas to all,

Tom

Login with username, password and session length