Author
Topic: BABNC vignettes used in Mexican notes in 1920  (Read 4727 times)
Cedrian
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »

Hi everyone (sorry to repeat this post... I'm just getting familiarized with the site, if the admin can erase my previous attempt where I did not attached properly the image, I would highly appreciate it), I'm a new member in this forum. Thanks for accepting me. Does anyone know whether these vignettes were ever used in a Canadian note? After the chaos of the Mexican Revolution, people were reluctant to accept banknotes. Nevertheless, the increase in silver prices compelled the Mexican government to issue for a brief period two notes, a 50 cents and a one peso note, both with the same reverse. The notes were printed in Mexico by the Government Printing office, with vignettes engraved by the BABNC. These vignettes, at least the one on the front of the one peso, were requested in 1918 by a Mexican official to the BABNC and suggested to be used in the "Banco de la Republica Mexicana", the unsuccessful first attempt to create a central bank. Any information you may have (engraver's name, paintings that served as models, vignette numbers, or other notes or documents that have the same vignette), would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Cedrian
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »

And the 50 cents note (it has the same reverse)

Cedrian
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »

Hi I managed to find at the Bank of Canada's online currency museum an image of a five dollars banknote from the Ontario Bank dated 1898 which bears the same vignette of the one peso note. Does anyone know whether any other note has the same vignette?

Cedrian
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:12:09 pm »

If someone is interested, here you can read three articles which are related to this vignettes (all of them are about Mexico):

https://independent.academia.edu/CedrianBosch

1) One on Fernando Fernandez, the Mexican engraver who at the time was person responsible to take care of the technical aspects of the banknotes for the first attempt to create a Central Bank in Mexico. He traveled to Canada and hired the BABNC to produce the plates (unfortunately, when I wrote this piece, I had only few hints of this)

2) These proofs of the banknotes that were intended to be issued for such a bank. There are two different sets; everyone (myself included) thought they were two alternative designs and that the Mexican authorities favored ABNC over BABNC, nevertheless, I found that the intention was to issue both, first the notes printed in the US and then import the machinery, paper and plates to print in Mexico those engraved in Canada. Unfortunately, the bank was never established. 

3) The alternative use of the vignettes that were produced in Canada and the paper manufactured in the US for that bank.

Hope anyone here find it interesting.

best,
Cedrian

Login with username, password and session length