Author
Topic: I needed a good laugh and found one  (Read 6198 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:15 pm »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:54:45 pm »

Unfortunately the eBay seller has incorrectly identified his note as the common "Broken Ladder" when it is in fact the much more scarce "Scrambled Ladder" note.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »

You forgot to mention the scarce scrambled ladder's sister-in-law (or broken bookend note?) that can also be had:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2015-BROKEN-2345678-LADDER-20-00-GEM-UNCirculated-Very-SCARCE-Serial-Number-/222359264420?hash=item33c5a51ca4:g:sH8AAOSwGotWjJVs

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:52 pm »

You forgot to mention the scarce scrambled ladder's sister-in-law (or broken bookend note?) that can also be had:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2015-BROKEN-2345678-LADDER-20-00-GEM-UNCirculated-Very-SCARCE-Serial-Number-/222359264420?hash=item33c5a51ca4:g:sH8AAOSwGotWjJVs

Fail to see what is funny about it.

I laugh all the time when I see replacement/inserts notes with much more bloated prices. Particularly for those printed since 2013. I even laugh more as the finding is attributed to some research that no one really understands and is not even in public domain. There is never an intention from BoC to put notes in a sequence. The original intention of replacements was to replace notes that would otherwise be missing from a sequence to make sure that people receiving it did not inadvertently think they were missing.

The reality is that there are people who collect for all different reasons. Just because something that has not made it to the GPMS catalog is being sold and bought in no way IMHO takes away from those who may choose to collect it. No laughing matter.

I think it is fun but certainly not funny.  :D

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:55:49 pm »

Excellent post, Rupiah!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Beatrix
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:03:02 am »

I agree, there are lots of things in my collection that most people wouldn't glance at but I just think they're cool. If someone finds a number like that interesting, nothing wrong with that.
AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 07:34:21 am »

Cannot resist and have to chime in as well. To me, it is not what is being sold, but how. The abundance of superlatives in the description makes me cringe. I never buy anything from sellers that describe their notes like that. My tolerance for bullshit is too low, I guess. By the way, this sensational eye-popping extremely crisp original note has a deep gash on the hologram from a counting machine and would not grade more than Unc in my book.

A beautiful eye-popping Gem Mint State example featuring the popular "Broken Ladder" serial number. This is a sensational note with fantastic natural eye appeal and extremely crisp original paper quality. Not as rare as the consecutive numbered version, but quite scarce and probably undervalued.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:39:17 pm »

GETTING back to the gist of the original thread:
The rare and popular broken ladder note....if this is the best note in his collection 

The BSE1524630 in VF condition is one of 370,000,000 notes printed and I honestly fail to see what makes this so-called "popular scarce ladder" which it clearly is not (-not even significantly close to a ladder by any stretch of the imagination-) even slightly collectible any more than any Canadian's $20 note sitting in any Canadian's wallet at any given moment.  In fact, since it is 1 of a set of nearly one-half of a billion notes produced by BOC printers, odds are that any old $20 in your wallet is actually more rare than this one (esp if its a queen's commemorative or  if its in higher than VF condition).  The other "scarce" piece of plastic up for auction (with the #3462578) is (at least) part of the commemorative edition of $20 polymers and slightly less common (1 of 43,000,000 or 1 of 3,473,999 notes produced  of that particular prefix).  I won't even touch on the fact that both notes' condition is also up for debate (as "AZ" rightly points out).

Neither note is a "broken ladder" nor related to anything special in terms of their numbers. These 2 notes wouldn't even qualify as a "special number" which some of us long-term collectors will have heard from members who go for "near-solids" or notes where the number resembles a birthday note/area code, etc. 

If you are a collector who has a penchant for any type of serial number all this is "fine & dandy." No one is commenting on that. What we think is funny is that if you are a seller and hyping a note which is excessively common- than it begs the question: what other "stuff" are you strutting about as "special" or "scarce."  That's the reason why I used silly terms like the "sister-in-law" note & "book-ends" since these are also terms that we see over-used & such "window-dresssing" is not going to sell a note.   

It is not funny that the person is labelling his notes as "Scarce" or "Rare" or mislabelling them with any other superlatives.  In fact, it is quite sad that people are still out there trying to dupe the unwary collector.  What is funny: is the 2nd part of the original thread: "if this is the best note in his collection..." 

Login with username, password and session length