Author
Topic: Bank of Canada unveils commemorative $10 bank note to celebrate Canada’s 150th  (Read 25653 times)
robb4640

Also got CDC 010 notes today at Scotia Bank.  Another collector that works there was allowed to go through the bundles and got 2 radars 0105010 and 0104010!!
RBC says they know nothing about the new notes and never received any notification about them and have no idea when they would get any.

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652

Unless I am mistaken, I don't see any of the new prefixes listed in the SNDB.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken, I don't see any of the new prefixes listed in the SNDB.
The Serial Number Database now allows entry of the Canada 150 $10s in the prefix range of CDA-CDF.  Thanks for your patience.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652

The Serial Number Database now allows entry of the Canada 150 $10s

Wasted no time in entering the ones I could following the rules of course in regard to sequential notes.

Thanks for getting on that right away!!

P.S. The plate numbers are indeed harder to spot until you get used to their location.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member

The Serial Number Database now allows entry of the Canada 150 $10s in the prefix range of CDA-CDF.  Thanks for your patience.

CDA-CDF? 60 million possible notes? The press release said there would only be 40 million. CDA-CDD, and perhaps a few CDE for an overrun, but where did CDF come from?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
AZ
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »

CDA-CDF? 60 million possible notes? The press release said there would only be 40 million. CDA-CDD, and perhaps a few CDE for an overrun, but where did CDF come from?

There are many missing notes in CDA bundles I have seen. It is possible that the number of discarded sheets in CDA-CDD is so high that the entire CDE prefix and a part of CDF prefix had to be printed. It is also possible that more than 40 million notes were printed overall (but very likely not 60 million).
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

From the Bank of Canada's Flickr site.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

In case anyone is curious, the infrared properties appear not to have changed much with the new notes.  See below.  The upper note is a regular polymer $100 and the lower note is a Canada 150 $10.

One can see that the left-hand serial numbers show, but the right ones do not.  Also, most other printing on the right is blank.  The fronts are similar with a large white area.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:37:35 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
PaperorPlastic

Just got a few of these notes, all prefix CDB.  When I first saw them online, they didn't really look too great to me but after seeing them in person they look really nice.  The colors stand out really nice compared to the regular polymer notes.

Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652

I have to agree with you P or P and can't wait to see what the B.O.C. comes up with next!

They really threw the kitchen sink in this one and really thought things through in my opinion.

Relic

Finally got one of these in hand today! It is a beauty and easily a contender for my favorite banknote of all time. Top 3 for sure. Thumbs up to the designers.
shrek999
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 11:58:50 pm »

I picked up a bundle this week and they are CDA, I really like the note. In my bundle there were a lot of missing notes from the numerical sequence.
Relic

Didn't find any interesting serial numbers, but the 200 skip is easy to see in these bundles. Lots of missin serial numbers. Notes with last two digits 00 and 99 are missing quite a bit, there must have been issues...
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

I had some bundles and the notes in each of the bundle were within range.

However one bundle had notes from

CDC and
CDA

in the same bundle (and there is good reason to  believe that this bundle was not tampered with)

I have been cataloging bundles and there is a trend that can be seen . If you start with notes with the number side facing up then you will notice the following:

The numbers will be increasing towards xxxxx99. Then you will see the number change to xxxxx00 but with PN which is one lower than the one above. In other words if the PN of the top note is 07 and the number increases to xxxxx99 then the PN of the xxxxx00 is 06. When the top PN is 01 the one after it is 19 and so on. When the top PN is 41 the one after it is PN 09 from the next higher 200 skip.

In the four bundles that are shown by Relic you will see the above pattern:

Bundle 1 -
CDB 4786101 to CDB 4786199 --- PN19
CDB 4785901 ---                         PN 18

Bundle 2 -
CDB 4785711 to CDB 4785798 --- PN 17
CDB 4785501 to ----                     PN 16

Bundle 3 -
CDA 6516606 to CDA 6516698 ---  PN 44
CDA 6516400 to----                       PN 43

Bundle 4 -
CDA 4688713 to CDA 4688779 --- PN 08
CDA 4688501 to -----                   PN 07

In my CDC-CDA run it followed the same pattern with respect to the PN

CDC - PN41
CDA - PN09
CDA - PN08

There were three PNs in the bundle because there were many missing notes in the ranges corresponding to each of the PNs. The fact that the CDC and CDA were mixed is an interesting twist.

PS - I do not believe this has anything to do with inserts. My research has shown that ever since skip number 200 has been used the notes have all been subject to single note inspection and BoC has made it very clear that there is no intention to have notes in sequence or notes inserted for missing notes. I have an alternative explanation for the reason for variations found in bundles which I will try to write in a future article.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Relic

Rupiah, Good job reading those tiny numbers from my junky photo!

The 200 number that are "skipped" are simply printed a another PN correct? Wou be interesting to see a 3D image of all PN with 200 layers showing the serial increments.

I will add that in all of the notes the fpn was the same number as the bpn.

Finally found an interesting serial today, CDA5351535, a radar repeater!

Login with username, password and session length