Author
Topic: 1$ with light blue serial numbers - unusual or not ?  (Read 6401 times)
Douglas 5
« on: June 14, 2017, 04:05:11 pm »

I had posted this in another area- with no results - might belong here better .

Some time in the 80s I picked up these four Crow-Bouey 1$ bills . Only 2 weeks later as I was putting them in holders
and compared them to others I noticed that they had light blue serial numbers instead of the dark blue .
Returned to the bank hoping to get more but all were dark blue .
They are cut a bit smaller and the serial numbers are tighter together .

Are these light blue numbers common ?

Cheers, Douglas
Douglas 5
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:39:37 am »

Any idea anyone ?
After searching for some time on line found another light blue one with the EC prefix .

Cheers, Douglas

AJG
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:54:10 am »

If memory serves correctly, serial numbers starting with E (printed by CBN) were light blue in color, while prefixes starting with A and B had a darker blue color.

Also, in the two-letter prefix era, the FA-FZ and IA-IZ series were printed in light blue ink, if I recall.

Each of the printing companies used different blue ink, if I recall.  Also, if you look closely, the look of the $1 bills printed by CBN and BABN appear to be different shades of green, which proves tbat each printer uses different inks.

The light blue serial numbers started circulating by 1984, as I remember seeing a friend who had a $1 EAB prefix in February 1984.  They eased up when the AL* prefixes resumed production, but the remainder of EA* up to around ECF or ECG were likely released before the AM* prefixes around 1986 or early 1987 started appearing.  The final year of printing $1 notes took place around 1988 or early 1989, and started around ECH but ended at ECW, though ECV and ECW was not broadly seen, if at all.

The light blue serial numbers were quite abundant across the board during the $1 note's final months in circulation, it seems.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:23:29 pm »

I miss $ 1 and $2 bills.  I scoop them up whenever I can and use them for tips.  Loonies and toonies seem insignificant; if you had a fist full of bills, you might think twice about spending them on a cup of coffee.

I miss paper money in general.  It doesn't seem the same after they switched to polymer. and I'm not too proud to say that I'm stuck in the past.  :'(

Dean

Login with username, password and session length