Author
Topic: Shaded Bars On 2006 Issues  (Read 5243 times)
Hounddog
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:20:46 am »

I had this pointed out to me buy a customer I never noticed this before. I looked at others HPF notes that I have and they don't have these shaded bars. (Above skaters)
I also checked about 10 other prefixes and found the same identical markings on HPB9942546.
To me this is minor but as for my customer he has no interest in the note because of these bars.
Is this just caused by dirty plates?

Cheers, Bill

[img
Hounddog
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:26:56 am »

The second picture above is just to show a normal note.

[img
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:23 pm »

I had this pointed out to me buy a customer I never noticed this before. I looked at others HPF notes that I have and they don't have these shaded bars. (Above skaters)
I also checked about 10 other prefixes and found the same identical markings on HPB9942546.
To me this is minor but as for my customer he has no interest in the note because of these bars.
Is this just caused by dirty plates?

Cheers, Bill

Are the markings "exactly" similar in the HPF and HPB notes?

What I notice in the picture is not so much a result of a dirty plate but excess ink in the litho printing in the affected area. A dirty plate will cause smear in the white areas between the litho printing. What the image is showing is that only the litho tint is darkened. The white area around does not have any marking.

This looks like an error that can happen in litho printing but not an error significant enough for bank note collectors. There are examples of polymer bills where excess ink in litho printing in some areas has caused thickening of lines and shapes. Sometimes they are one off which may result from the manner in which ink gets transferred from the blanket or vibration of rollers and sometimes they are related to a damaged plate which makes these things for many consecutively printed notes until it is caught and corrected.

In terms of grading in this particular instance it does detract from the look of the note. If I were getting this I would prefer to get another one everything else being equal.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Hounddog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:40:22 pm »

I appreciate the reply Rupiah I thought if anyone would reply it would be you and I would say they are quite similar. Have a look

[img
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:07:50 am »

I appreciate the reply Rupiah I thought if anyone would reply it would be you and I would say they are quite similar. Have a look

True they do look similar. Very strange. The notes by my calculation would have a FP/BP of 39/20 and 43/38 so they are not even at the same position. The only thing on the face corresponding to that location is the litho of the flag pattern. So not sure how such a consistently similar pattern can manifest.

I have examined many $5 journey notes and I have not seen a single one like the one you shared.

Does looking through a 10x loupe reveal anything that might suggest it is extra ink on litho v/s some ink mark left from an unclean substrate or transferred from adjacent note.

If I were to take a wild guess, sometimes in a photo (as opposed to a scan) a very very shallow undulation might also show up as a pattern like that. Such undulations could be caused by things like paper clips, something heavy in that shape etc. that may have been placed over the notes.

Or it  might be something similar on the holder itself.

I am sure you may have already checked such apparent things out and ruled them out.

If you find out what's happening please share with us or if you are able to scan that portion at a higher resolution then it might give more hints.

Thx for sharing.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Weeles
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »

To me it somehow looks linked to the application of the security stripe. If you look at the distance from the security stripe line to the first marking, the second marking looks to be the exact same spacing. This looks the same for both examples shown.

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »

I have seen a number of minor production errors in several notes starting with the HPF prefix. 

Most of these were minor to more significant ink smears or blotches of ink (E2).  Not sure how significant or collectible. 

I kept a few ink smeared notes (most had ink on front).

But the most interesting (to me) was the HPR attached below with a very small (minor) offset printing error (E3 in Charlton). It is the vertical printing of "Bank of Canada Banque du Canada"  If you look carefully- you can also see a shadow of the reverse "5" marker probably caused by an excess of ink from the outline of the front five marker (of the sheet on top of this sheet). 

I believe it is quite possible that the "Shaded bars" of your notes could be from excess ink picked up on the rollers from somewhere (perhaps splattered or excess ink on a sheet that was removed?) and transferred on the sheet (note) before it was cut into bricks.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 05:08:08 pm »

Login with username, password and session length