Author
Topic: Help on value  (Read 7329 times)
TheBurnz
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:17:46 pm »

Hello all,

I'm interested in these notes, let me know what your ceiling is on the values. No grade provided at this auction.

Thank you
TheBurnz
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »

this one as well please

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »

, let me know what your ceiling is on the values.

You did not get a reply because your post is in the wrong thread.  Try posting in "What is it worth?"

Also: it is very difficult to put a "ceiling value" on notes with only 1 picture of the note (not seeing the reverse is a severe impediment). 

As I'm sure you're aware- a note's value isn't just factored by its number, prefix or other features (error, etc).  The most pressing matter for most serious collectors is the condition and these auctions don't have a very accurate (or consistent) grading system (nor reputation).  It is not uncommon to see "UNC" on a sticker, or the note being described as "mint," (and other unhelpful terms) when it is clear to see that the note is anything but.  Some auction houses have no problem putting a book value on the said note even though that book value is completely unrelated to that note (because of the note's condition/or because the note is incorrectly described: i.e; only a partial offset error (not 100%), etc.)

PLUS, when you're discussing auctions you must always factor in the buyer's premiums, taxes and fees to ship the same (which are typically higher than registered mail).  Many online auctions attract novice collectors so it is common to see high starting bids on many items most collectors would steer clear from.

TheBurnz
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:41:18 am »

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah this auction site is trying to sell them at $100 + a piece. I was in on them for $40 a piece in the condition they are in. I realized the two sides would have been best to post if I wanted exact figures on value. I was looking for a general opinion.

The more I am researching the more I think the best value would be in the under ten serial numbers and solid numbers. I'll continue to try and get them for $40 each as the auction network  seems to continue to post these notes.

They are charging a 18% premium and then taxes. They use a shipper you charges $25 a shipment, which I try to fill up with multiple items to balance out that cost. I still go by the rule shipping shouldn't be considered part of the cost if you are collecting. Its a service rendered for expanding your search for what you like.
If you are doing it as a dealer then yes of course it comes into affect.

Thanks again
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:49:50 am »

They are charging a 18% premium and then taxes. They use a shipper you charges $25 a shipment, which I try to fill up with multiple items to balance out that cost. I still go by the rule shipping shouldn't be considered part of the cost if you are collecting. Its a service rendered for expanding your search for what you like.

I understand what you're getting at but once you've been collecting for a few years- you really do care about shipping/extra costs.  Only when you are purchasing rare notes for hundreds of dollars - you may want Purolator, FedEx, or some other expensive courier (many collectors use these for grading many rare notes).  My problem with these are that they always come by when I'm at work so I have to drive across the city to pick the package(s) up.  I find Canada Post much better (convenient) in that they usually leave your item in the mailbox and are fairly secure (at least I've had no problem with Registered or Express).  Each cost about $10 (not $25).  The problem I have with bidding on multiple items is that you may be doing so and winning items you weren't necessarily keen on purchasing! Most online auction houses hope you bid on multiple items and I resent the fact that the one you mention uses a separate business to package/ship their items.

You won't get the buyer's premium nor the $25 shipping when you go to a show and meet a dealer.  Sometimes they may even work out a compromise on the taxes ("sometimes" but not always). The worse part about a show is paying the admission and getting there (but they're usually so educational and well worth the admission).

The best bet is to buy off another collector (if you can find one who you trust) because they won't charge any of those inflated extra costs.

TheBurnz
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »

Thanks again for your point of view. I have my items shipped to my work. Saves me the door knocker stickers.

Login with username, password and session length