Author
Topic: Bank of Canada $20, Misplaced OSD - BCS Certified BCS No BX889  (Read 7730 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

I came across this BCS Certified note for sale on the Colonial Acres website.

https://www.colonialacres.com/product-p/aug.dop.a53.htm

The description is given as:

BC-64b 2004 Bank of Canada $20 Jenkins-Carney Printed in 2008 Misplaced OSD, Partial Stamp, Holes BCS Certified VF25

There is something strange about this note particularly as it is certified by BCS and as it offered for sale as such on what I consider as a reputable dealer website.

Firstly I do not believe OSD terminology is the correct terminology because it was typically used for the OSD on the Bird Series Notes.

Secondly it talks about misplaced OSD which also typically refers to Bird Series Notes and the only journey notes where the hologram stripe has been misplaced is when the $5 and $20 notes have been printed on the wrong side.

Maybe they are referring to the missing intaglio on the hologram stripe as the misplaced OSD. But surely that cannot be an error as it can be very easily removed without affecting the underlying hologram.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:43 am »

Looks like a plain ordinary Journey $20 to me.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:25 pm »

There is something strange about the hologram strip. It looks like it was applied on top of the intaglio printing.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 06:52:31 pm »

There is something strange about the hologram strip. It looks like it was applied on top of the intaglio printing.

Now that would be an error of high proportions.

Because intaglio is the last element to be applied before the varnish and the hologram stripe (for the journey notes) from my understanding is actually applied at the stage when the paper substrate is supplied to the BoC printing companies.

Looking closely at the image one can see elements of Intaglio of the portrait on the hologram stripe.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length