Author
Topic: News about bank of canada bank note legal tender initiative  (Read 6190 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »

The Bank of Canada today published additional information on the federal government’s 2018 budget initiative to seek the authority to remove legal tender status from Canadian bank notes.

Having the authority to remove legal tender status from bank notes would match the authority the government currently has for coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint. The Bank of Canada supports this initiative because it can help the Bank ensure that bank notes used by Canadians are current, in good condition, easy to use and difficult to counterfeit.

As stated in Budget 2018, if this power is granted by Parliament, the government’s intention is to remove legal tender status from the $1, $2, $25, $500 and $1,000 bank notes. Removing legal tender status from these older notes is expected to have little impact on most Canadians, as these denominations have not been produced in decades and are rarely used in transactions. Importantly, removal of legal tender status does not mean these notes will lose their face value; the Bank of Canada will continue to honour them.

If the government is granted this power, the Bank of Canada will provide clear information to Canadians on how to redeem the affected bank notes. This will involve a period during which the notes can be redeemed through financial institutions—as Canadians can do today. After this period, the notes can be redeemed directly through the Bank of Canada.

There are currently no plans to remove legal tender status from any other bank notes.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:23 pm »

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/upcoming-changes-to-legal-tender-status-for-older-bank-notes/

Upcoming changes to legal tender status for older bank notes

Learn about legal tender bank notes, what removing legal tender status means and which bank notes are affected.

In the 2018 budget, the Government of Canada announced that it will ask for the power to be able to remove legal tender status from bank notes—something it cannot do now. If that power is approved by Parliament, the plan would be to remove that designation from certain bank notes that are no longer being produced—the $1, $2, $25, $500 and $1,000 notes—and they would be officially taken out of circulation. This initiative is supported by the Bank of Canada.
Canada’s official notes and coins are called legal tender

Every bank note issued by the Bank of Canada since we opened our doors in 1935 is still redeemable at its face value. Technically, you can use a 1935 $25 bank note when you go shopping or pay a bill. The cashier might refuse it because it looks unfamiliar, but it is still worth $25. In fact, some bank notes, especially the rare ones, are worth more than the number on their face to collectors.

Bank notes issued by the Bank of Canada, together with coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint, are what is known as “legal tender.” That’s a technical term meaning the Government of Canada has deemed them to be the official money we use in our country. In legal terms, it means “the money approved in a country for paying debts.”

Today, money is not just bank notes but takes many different forms: credit cards, debit cards, cheques, and contactless payments using mobile devices. You can pay with any of these forms of money, even though they are not considered “legal tender.” In fact, anything can be used if the buyer and seller agree on the form of payment. So “legal tender” has little impact on our everyday lives.
Bank notes will not lose their face value

In short, removing legal tender status means that some older bank notes would no longer have the official status of being approved for payments of debt. Essentially, that means you would no longer be able to spend that 1935 $25 bank note to buy items at a store. But these bank notes would not lose their face value. If you have one of them, you will still be able to take it to your financial institution or eventually send it to the Bank of Canada to redeem its value.
International experience

Many other countries have been doing this for years. More than 20 central banks around the world have the power to remove legal tender status from their notes, including the Bank of England, the Sveriges Riksbank (Sweden), the Swiss National Bank, the Reserve Bank of New Zealand and the European Central Bank.
Current, high-quality and secure bank notes

Having the power to remove legal tender status from bank notes means that we can do a better job of keeping the notes in circulation current. Newer bank notes have better security features that make them difficult to counterfeit, and they are in better condition overall. Keeping notes current means they work more efficiently for all of us.

Officially taking the $1, $2, $25, $500 and $1,000 notes out of circulation will help achieve that goal. This decision will have little impact on most of us.

That’s because these bank notes have not been produced in decades. In fact, you almost never see them. Some people do not recognize them, which means they likely would not be accepted in transactions.

The $1 and the $2 notes stopped being issued in 1989 and 1996, respectively, and were replaced with coins.
    The $25 note was a commemorative note. Both it and the $500 note were discontinued shortly after they were issued in 1935.
    The $1,000 note stopped being issued in 2000.

By removing these old notes from circulation, we can ensure that our bank notes stay current, of high quality and secure. It also guarantees they are always easy to use.

Right now, there are no plans to take any other bank notes out of circulation. If the legislation is approved, the government will be able to remove other notes in the future as needed.
What to do with older notes

Don’t worry, nothing will happen overnight. If the legislation is changed, we will let you know what you can do with your older notes.  For now, you can sill redeem them at your financial institution, but after a period of time, you will have to send them to the Bank of Canada to redeem their value. Or, you can always decide to keep your notes.

cdn_guy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:16:23 pm »

Expect lots of old notes to be turned into banks.. time to really make friends there (at the bank)
 :)
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:31:42 pm »

Thank you for the heads up!  From that BOC page you were on, I found a link to this one which shows the outstanding liabilities of these notes that are left in circulation.  If this legislation passes, it will be interesting to keep an eye on these numbers to see how they drop.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/banking-and-financial-statistics/bank-of-canada-note-liabilities-formerly-k1/

Expect lots of old notes to be turned into banks.. time to really make friends there (at the bank)
 :)

While it does present this opportunity, it also can be bad if some of the really rare ones (like the 25$ or 500$) are turned in to a bank and no collector stumbles onto them in time before they are sent for destruction to the BOC.  :(  Hopefully we see more of them being saved or maybe the people who were about to turn them in happen to bring them to a coin show or shop or ask a collecting friend to have them checked first rather than destroyed.

Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:50:20 am »

If enough$1 $2 and$1,000 are turned into the bank, maybe my stash will actually be worth something :D
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:18:52 am »

I'm not exactly sure what is going to change. "legal tender" has barely any legal meaning in Canada. Merchants are not required to accept legal tender cash for payments now. Banks and the Bank of Canada will still accept discontinued currency for exchange after its legal tender status expires. So what exactly is changing?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:16:55 am »

While it does present this opportunity, it also can be bad if some of the really rare ones (like the 25$ or 500$) are turned in to a bank and no collector stumbles onto them in time before they are sent for destruction to the BOC.
If you do the math: only .01% of the 1935 $25.00 and .008% of the $500.00 notes are outstanding.  So realistically speaking- it is fairly unlikely that there'll be a rush of people returning these notes! I'm betting that its the $1.00, $2.00 and the $1000.00 denominations they're really interested in.

I'm not exactly sure what is going to change. "legal tender" has barely any legal meaning in Canada. Merchants are not required to accept legal tender cash for payments now. Banks and the Bank of Canada will still accept discontinued currency for exchange after its legal tender status expires.
I agree. Again- a loud bang added to the budget (but not much substance). IMO: they just want to see the $1000 notes come back ($741,638,000). I really doubt the banks will see a lot of 1935/37 $1.00 & $2.00 (nor $1000 notes) but these would be the ones that would make my heart skip a beat if I were a teller taking them in.  There are still: 151,614,000 in $1.00 and $208,464,000 in $2.00 worth of notes to be turned in.

That's over $1 Billion in outstanding BOC $1,$2 & $1000 notes altogether. Chartered, Dominion and defunct banks don't amount to much.   

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 09:47:35 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what is going to change. "legal tender" has barely any legal meaning in Canada. Merchants are not required to accept legal tender cash for payments now. Banks and the Bank of Canada will still accept discontinued currency for exchange after its legal tender status expires. So what exactly is changing?

The following is changing:

• There will be a legislative change which will allow BoC to remove the legal tender status from any circulating currency without requiring parliamentary approval.
  • The BoC will exercise this by identifying $1, $2, $25, $500 and $1000 Bank of Canada notes to no longer have a legal tender
  • The BoC will give people A SET PERIOD OF TIME to exchange these notes at regular banks.
  • After the set period if you still have these  notes that you want to exchange, then you will most likely have to go to Ottawa to the BoC counter. The regular banks will not be taking them.

So basically the thing that is changing is that if you have these notes it will become awfully cumbersome to exchange them in the future.

Today most people have the assurance that they can at anytime walk into a bank and get it exchanged and no questions asked.

Some may not think of this as a big deal but this is huge because we don't know what paperwork you will have to fill out when you take it to the BoC in Ottawa.

One thing I would like to find out is if once these notes are not deemed to be legal tender will they also be removed as a liability from the books of the Bank. If so then this would be a huge change for the bank.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 10:00:12 pm »

Today I took 2x $1000 notes to the bank on their journey towards destruction at the BoC - assuming they do not get taken by some enthusiastic middle person. Rather sad but perhaps the best thing to do. Interestingly the CSRs thought I was crazy because they have heard they sell on ebay for $1500 and up.

I was hoping for BoC to say that they would send a letter of acknowledgement. But that ain't going to happen.

Maybe once they shred them they can sell the shreds in the store at the museum (just like they sell the polymer shreds). I can then have my $1000 for $10 bucks. Good deal  ???

Login with username, password and session length