Author
Topic: New $10 Polymer Bank Note featuring civil rights icon Viola Desmond  (Read 25579 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 09:04:14 pm »

Rupiah, where did you get the FTWs?  What city/town?

GTA - few locations but they were only giving out very limited quantities - no exceptions - I normally have good relationships with some branches and if they could they would give more to me. But they requested that I wait until they get more. Was able to get 5x from 2 separate locations. Tried a third location but the "cage" was closed and the teller who had some had already run out of the 300 or so they had. They said they had a few more that I could get from them tomorrow - Absolutely no bundles though for now.

At one location while I was there several clients availed of this opportunity.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
robb4640
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 09:45:42 pm »

I am going to the GTA tomorrow, can you give me any of the locations to stop in at???

wagnert89
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 08:23:22 am »

I am waiting for tuesday to see if the ordered bills actually show up.... the bank ordered in a few bricks for me to search through.  I will post pictures shortly afterwards.  I have no idea what to expect lol the 2017 10s where is a clear package with do not cut symbols and yellow outline bands if i remember correctly.   FTW has been seen as low as 1M, so maybe its plausable any FTY and FTW are not confirmed in the database from 2.5 years ago but it they exist they could be rare?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:01:53 am by wagnert89 »
AJG
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 11:41:30 am »

It seems like, so far, the only reports of the new $10 bill being ordered or delivered are entirely in Ontario.  No reports from other provinces yet.

I get the feeling that, for some years now, the vast majority of $10 bills being released are in only a small number of provinces, and I bet Atlantic Canada will be shut out, since there may be not a single bank in such region ordering $10 bills any longer.  Makes sense, since it's been more than four years since the banks in NL received their last order of regular $10 bills.  Even Sobeys is having a hard time getting orders of $10 bills delivered - they have been repeatedly short-shipped, and are always the same ones juggling around since 2013 or 2014.

I think, if I would have seen any of the Wilkins-Poloz signature $10 bills (2013 issue), I would have seen plenty by now.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 12:41:03 am »

I am going to the GTA tomorrow, can you give me any of the locations to stop in at???

Sorry did not see your post. Hopefully you got the notes.

Basically CIBC, RBC, TD are the ones who are carrying them in several GTA areas. Very very limited quantities. Don't expect a bundle. I will not get into specific branches on the public forum.

Was able to get FTW and FTY.

The problem is that it is difficult to get CHOICE UNC because many of these branches put an elastic band around the notes or paper clips etc.

So even those buying them from others be forewarned about the grade.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
AJG
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2018, 12:10:25 pm »

I have a strange feeling that the new $10 bill is likely going to have the lowest circulation for any $10 bill ever issued.  If no bank in NL orders $10 bills anymore, some media outlet is going to expose the information, and will prompt residents to hold on to their $10 bills as collectors' items.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the new $10 bill will probably have a very short life, and possibly be the nation's official last $10 bill series ever.

I personally think the reason why banks are not ordering them anymore, or ordering limited quantities, is because low demand for the $10 bill may have caused the cost to order them to rise so much, the banks realized it was probably a lot cheaper to order the same amount of money in $5 bills than fewer $10 bills, and the banks are obviously going with whatever is cheaper and more useful and economically feasible.

If the new $10 bill never gets ordered by NL banks, it wouldn't be the first time a new banknote was never ordered by banks in NL - the 1988 issue $1,000 bill was the last such new bill, released in 1992, and was never ordered by any bank in NL.  Rightly so, since it was used in organized crime.

The $10 bill is a completely different story.  Low demand is what's putting our beloved purple banknote on death watch.  If the $10 bill is no longer being printed, when purchasing power of $5 becomes $10 in some years' time, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of $5 bills in the nation will double, or more than double, and may prompt the need for a $5 coin if the number of $5 bills grows so much.

Keep in mind that we lost the 50-cent coin back in the 1960s.  Demand dropped so much, possibly due to inflation, and the coin had since been deemed redundant, and even when purchasing power of 25 cents became 50 cents, the number of quarters in circulation supposedly doubled, or more than doubled.  The reason for the 50-cent coin being redundant is because two quarters make a 50-cent coin, and two 50-cent coins make one dollar.  The $10 bill is in the same predicament, since it is exactly half of a $20 bill, and exactly double of a $5 bill - because of this, $10 bills are considered redundant nowadays, and many banks across the nation have likely identified this in recent years.

I think the $10 bill would have been more successful if there had been a $25 bill instead of a $20 bill.  A denomination of 10 does much better in cents, since there is no 20-cent coin; but won't succeed in dollars as long as there is a $20 bill.  It's surprising that some banks waited this long to finally discontinue ordering $10 bills, and some banks were already ahead of the game as far back as the 1990s.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 12:31:18 pm by AJG »
wagnert89
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

Here is a link to some useful information..... http://canadiancoinnews.com/first-note-of-eighth-series-enters-circulation/  its intersting because they say these will replace other polymer 10s which implies the $10 frontier polymer production is finished
AJG
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2018, 01:55:17 pm »

Apparently, my claim of $10 bills no longer being ordered by banks in NL have been an underestimation.

I did miraculously receive my first new $10 bill a few minutes ago at a local supermarket in St. John's, NL, implying that some banks may have ordered some.

The prefix is FTY.  And it may be a new low for that prefix.

I am thinking there have been no new $10 bills in my region for four years because virtually all of the Journey $10s in NL were fully replaced by 2015, precluding any more orders for new $10s for several years.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2018, 03:34:16 pm »

I also wouldn't be surprised if the new $10 bill will probably have a very short life, and possibly be the nation's official last $10 bill series ever.
I personally think the reason why banks are not ordering them anymore, or ordering limited quantities,...

- I don't think this $10 will be Canada's last $10 note.  Go to the BOC website and search "Cashless Society" for an interesting read.  Canada is ranked as one of the nations headed that way but the paper (written by BOC researchers) doesn't really suggest we head that way on purpose. We're using less cash because of technology and convenience (with larger transactions).

- Only a few of the big banks (Scotia & BMO I believe) are not ordering LESS (not as many as they used to) because their ATM's don't take them.  Not sure about the rest but TD dispenses $10 now.

may prompt the need for a $5 coin

- It's only logical that the $5 note is on more shaky ground than the $10 and I can imagine it going next.

I did miraculously receive my first new $10 bill a few minutes ago at a local supermarket

-that is pretty amazing as its the last place I'd expect to find the new $10 - at least not for a little while yet. Did you try any of the big banks in NL?

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »

Scotiabank Vancouver 650 W Georgia Street received three bundles of the new $10s yesterday. They were able to give me 30 notes today. The teller said that when they received the bundles they looked like they had already been rifled through because the serial numbers were quite mixed up. I got:

FTW3858762-99 (missing 65-69, 75, 78, 81, 90, 97)
FTW3858500-01

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 04:59:23 pm »

I got 2 bundles and many gaps in SN (just like the "150" release).  I did not bother to note them (as there were many) FTW 1.1M.

AJG
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »

-that is pretty amazing as its the last place I'd expect to find the new $10 - at least not for a little while yet. Did you try any of the big banks in NL?
To be quite honest, I no longer do over-the-counter banking, due to my full-time job and busy agenda.  I do have two Scotia accounts, but i do most of my banking electronically, or on seldom occasion, through the ATM.

If those Smart ATMs come to my branch, I will be wanting just 50s and 5s, no 20s.
AJG
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:18 am »

One thing that really interests me as of lately, with Sir John A. MacDonald gone from our $10 bill, I wonder if that will motivate collectors to hold on to any existing MacDonald $10 bills for collectors' purposes?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 02:26:29 pm »

with Sir John A. MacDonald gone from our $10 bill, I wonder if that will motivate collectors to hold on to any existing MacDonald $10 bills for collectors' purposes?

-if you're referring to the 2013 Frontiers $10, I highly doubt collectors will hold onto them simply because its the last issue with his portrait.   

From my experience of what collectors collect, SN # & condition are the typical criteria:
a) the notes condition (higher the grade the more likely it will be collected)
b) special numbers (1-2-3 & 4 digit radars; low #under 1000; ladder & ladder radars; repeaters; rotators; birthday notes & other notes that may have a number that turns their fancy (phone #, area code, etc))
c) insert replacements
d) change-over & short prefixes (I cannot think of many for this series other than FTH & FTN)
e) error notes (though I have not see any & In fact errors of this series should probably be viewed with a high degree of skepticism)

Check your Charlton Guide as it pretty much lists all of the above in some way or another (you will see that prefixes that change over are typically priced a little higher than the regular 10M run). 

The only area where I completely disagree with Charlton (in terms of change-overs/short prefixes) is in terms of BC-70a Macklem-Carney FTH which (although 8.3M reported run) only a very few released (& thus should have a much higher BV).  I'm sure this is a result of when the info for the book was compiled & no one could commit to the exact rarity of this note as it would have been premature at that time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:30:11 pm by walktothewater »

robb4640
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 06:27:42 pm »

Just was at TD in Brantford today to pick up more notes, I chatted with supervisor and they mentioned they have and will get lots of the 10's in but the dispensing machines are not calibrated to load the new tens in to the machines yet.  Same goes for their ATM's.  She said it would be January before the machines can be loaded so they can be used mainstream.   In the meantime, they will hand them out if asked.

Login with username, password and session length