Author
Topic: 2018 New $10 bill  (Read 4956 times)
TheBurnz
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:22:19 am »

Hello all,

The Bank of Canada has just released another $10 note. My question is why another $10. I get the 2017 was for 150 anniversary ect...  Why not make this one a $50 or $5... I'm starting to feel the Bank of Canada is taking to many pointers from the RCM and over populating the market with different verities.

Thoughts...

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 09:21:06 am »

It's not a special release, it's the first of the next series that will replace all of our current notes, from the $5 to $100.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
TheBurnz
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I get it, but why start with the $10, when you just did a special released of the same amount. Why not start with the $5..
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »

but why start with the $10, when BOC (sic: you) just did a special released of the same amount. Why not start with the $5..

It's a good question. With the Frontiers we saw the $100 & $50 first due to higher counterfeiting of these "Journey" denominations (it was practical). I think there are many more complex reasons we're seeing the $10 Viola Desmond note of this new series first.

A) the printers just re-tooled (or whatever they do) for the new "150" so they would be ready to take on the new $10 design right after the commemorative note. You can see similar advanced design elements in this one.
B) political motives- the Trudeau government has been very assertive with regards to gender equality and there were a number of complaints when the "Group of 5" women were removed from back of the Journey$50. He announced that we would see a Canadian woman on the front of the next series first.
C) Past historical figures (i.e. Sir John A MacDonald) have become more controversial in terms of their past policies so I believe that is why they wanted to change the $10 first. There is no longer a security threat (high counterfeiting that I'm aware of) so they had the luxury to change whatever denomination they wanted to.

Snoman
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:34 am »

Sir John A. will be moved to the new 100 and Laurier to the new 50, they aren't being removed because they were controversial. Its funny tho, when Laurier and Macdonald were first put on the 5 and 10 respectively back in the early 1970s those notes had the spending power of the 50 and 100 today.

But thats just my 2 loonies.
hanmer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:11:00 pm »

King and Borden?

:)

Login with username, password and session length