Author
Topic: Fine-12 (apparently)  (Read 11174 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:04 pm »

Here is another lovely example of how certain American grading companies grade the best 90% of a note, not the ugliest 10%.

We are familiar with the concept of net grading, where a note looks like a higher technical grade, but because of problems, its grade is rounded down, thus given a "net grade".  But does the concept work the same way when assessing a note to be an "apparent grade"?  In the example above, is the grader bringing the assessed grade DOWN from what it would be without the problems?  Or are they saying their grade is optimistic, meaning it should be treated as something LESS than an ordinary Fine-12?

I'm going to be blunt and say this note looks like a sub-par VG, and that there's not enough brandy on the planet that would get me to accept this could be technically VF before the damage brings the grade down.  The damage is not exceptional or incidental (IMO)... it is the result of lots of circulation, and if a note's condition is not correlated to how circulated it is, then there is absolutely no apparent basis for how some graders arrive at a grade.

No hay banda  
tripoli
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »

yeah, compare to this BCS F 12 (graded for sentimental reasons)
tripoli
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:09:32 pm »

AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:11:53 pm »

We are familiar with the concept of net grading, where a note looks like a higher technical grade, but because of problems, its grade is rounded down, thus given a "net grade".

I don't think that's the meaning of apparent.  I would interpret it the opposite way, that the note "appears" at first glance to be Fine but due to various defects does not actually qualify for the assigned grade.  Not that the grade has been brought down but rather that certain defects have been ignored.

Or are they saying their grade is optimistic, meaning it should be treated as something LESS than an ordinary Fine-12?

Correct.

In this case the implication is that if we ignore the edge splits, tears and minor(!) fraying then the note might grade Fine 12.  But I agree that the grader must have been drinking some good brandy to even come to this conclusion.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length