Author
Topic: Requests for Canadian currency articles?  (Read 5384 times)
jmackenzie3
« on: January 01, 2019, 01:11:59 pm »

Hi Everyone!
Just a quick introduction here... I'm in charge of the Saskatoon Coin Club web site. I have researched and written a TON of articles about Canadian coins, and I've decided to branch out and write some articles on Canadian currency.

I'm retired, bored and love doing research and writing articles...

So far I have written an identification guide for every Canadian Government issued bank note since 1850 (with huge high resolution photos for everything), and a set of pages that show people exactly where the plate numbers are on the front and back of each note from 1935 to date.

I was wondering if you have any requests for articles. Anything you usually have a lot of trouble finding online related to Canadian currency (Province of Canada, Dominion of Canada or Bank of Canada). I really don't want to spread to Chartered bank notes because there are just so darn many of them... lol

Especially topics more geared towards new collectors...

I've asked the guys in my club what they would like to see, but they all just shrugged their shoulders - most of them don't use the internet for ANYTHING so they don't care... lol
I've attached a couple of samples from the articles I have already written:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:24:26 pm by jmackenzie3 »
jmackenzie3
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:13:00 pm »

Sorry the plate number image is so crappy. I had to compress it like crazy to get it below 300Kb to upload here. The real image is 4000 pixels wide...

And a quick side note: None of these currency articles have been published online yet. I'm in the process of securing written permission from Charlton Press for the use of their catalogue numbering system...
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:06:35 pm »

I think this is a terrific idea.  I know I have always enjoyed reading up on research in this field.

I always enjoy the little prefaces on each series that Charlton provides (to familiarize myself with the particularities of that series). 

I enjoy articles which explain how the printing (production) of banknotes have evolved (or recent advances in technology) and I don't think we can get enough of those.  Advancements in security devices, replacements, test notes (or the phasing out of both) would be interesting to me. 

I have also found explanations on how errors are accidentally produced interesting.  Auctions of famous (or hugely valuable, massive) collectors inventory (which the Canadian Coin News has covered) are also interesting.

Personally, I have also found it interesting what types of currency (special numbers, prefixes, series) collectors collect. 

These are a few of my interests.  Hope this helps.

W2W 

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:02 am »

Hello and welcome to the forum
I look forward to viewing any articles you have
written as it is always interesting to
have new stuff to read and reference
I would love to have more information
on test notes and error notes
Friedsquid

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:25:09 am »

I've attached a couple of samples from the articles I have already written:

The samples you have shown look awesome and the graphical manner of presenting it provides more value. This looks like an awesome exercise. Can you point to the where the articles can be found? I would love to read them.

I have always felt that there was a need to be filled about providing more details about the bank note designs than there is in the Charlton's GPMC and on BoC website and their earlier published books (now digitally available). I think there is also a need to be filled to make this information more accessible in the digital world.

I have been writing articles on design and banknotes in the Canadian Paper Money Journal (CPMS). I would imagine you are a member of Canadian Paper Money Society or International Bank Note Society. If not I would strongly suggest that you become a member and access their publications. There is a wealth of historical information in the CPMS Journal that needs to be curated in a way that would make it more accessibe to audience today.

I am happy to work with you in some aspects of research.

Here is a list of articles that I have written that you may find useful to get ideas:

Displaced Head on Metallic Stripe of $100 Frontiers Series Polymer Bank Note, CPMS Journal, Issue 158/Vol. 54, 2018/09/01, 83-86.

French and English on Canadian Polymer Series (Frontiers) Bank Notes, CPMS Journal, Issue 157/Vol. 54, 2018/06/01, 43-50.

Variants in $20 Notes – Full Ear-Ring and Hidden Ear-Ring – Design Intent or Error?, CPMS Journal, Issue 155/Vol. 53, 2017/12/01, 123.

Bank note design for the bank note reader, CPMS Journal, Issue 155/Vol. 53, 2017/12/01, 104-106.

A Closer Look at Window of Frontier Series Notes, CPMS Journal , Issue 154/Vol. 53, 2017/10/01 , 74-76.

Canada in the Frontier Series Polymer Notes, CPMS Journal, Issue 153/Vol. 53, 2017/06/01, 38-40.

Varnish Coating - More Than Protection, CPMS Journal, Issue 152/Vol. 53, 2017/03/01, 4 -5.

Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie's Portrait Adjustment, CPMS Journal, Issue 151/Vol. 52, 2016/12/01 , 104-105.

Art and bank notes, Presentation, North York Coin Club Monthly Meeting, 2016/05/23.

Truncated Issue on $20 Frontier Series Polymer Canadian Banknote, CPMS Journal , Issue 146/Vol. 51, 2015/09/01, 95-958.

Printing Registration Related Artifacts in Canadian Banknotes, The CN Journal, Issue 5/Vol. 60 , 2015/07/01 , 210-213.

Holy CTC Coupon and Recurring Ink Patch on Sequence of CT Coupons, The Collector, Issue 1/Vol. 26, 2016/04/01 , 8-10.

A $50 Frontier polymer note with cut BPN, CPMS Journal , Issue 144/ Vol. 51 , 2015/03/01 , 20-23.

A Frontier note with BPN on left and right edges of the back, CPMS Journal , Issue 143/Vol. 50 , 2014/12/01 , 112-114.

Cut out of register note tells a story, CPMS Journal , Issue 142/Vol. 50 , 2014/09/01 , 82-84.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
koremore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 04:42:58 pm »

To answer your question, I'm very interested in Birds series $2 research articles. Notably, the AU* saga with the different signature combinations.
An article about that would be of interest to me, again, to answer your question.
Thanks!
jmackenzie3
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:22 pm »

The samples you have shown look awesome and the graphical manner of presenting it provides more value. This looks like an awesome exercise. Can you point to the where the articles can be found? I would love to read them.

The pages are not online yet. I have finished writing them, but I was waiting for written permission from Charlton Press for the use of their catalogue numbering system which is used heavily on these pages.  I just received written permission today and have been adding copyright information to the top of every page.

I also want the real currency experts in the club to review what I have done so far and either approve or suggest changes and/or additions. Our club is very lucky in that our President (Cliff Beattie) and one other member of the club executive (Harold Brown) are both past presidents of the Canadian Paper Money Society.

I'm just some poor schlub who doesn't know much about currency but I do know a LOT about graphics editing and web page creation. And I'm retired and bored... lol

As such most of my currency pages have been written from the viewpoint of a beginner currency collector, showing what I think is useful information about each variety of bank note. Time and feedback will tell if I assumed correctly...

But once they have been published, the currency section will be found on this page:
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles.html
jmackenzie3
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 06:57:35 pm »

I would imagine you are a member of Canadian Paper Money Society or International Bank Note Society.
Actually I am not a member, and to be honest I own a total of 4 banknotes.

I actually started the project because of a coin dealer. At last year's Saskatoon Coin and Stamp Show I bought a couple of fish scale 5 cent pieces from him. He KNEW with complete certainty I was NOT a currency collector, and he has joked over the years that he would get me started - "I don't know when or how, but I'll get you, my pretty.... Ahahahahaha".

Well... when he gave me the change from my purchase he gave me a 1954 $2, a 1973 $1 and a horribly beaten up shinplaster. He was still chuckling about it as I walked away.  I mumbled "I hate you.... bastard..." lol

I figured the only way I could afford to appease my mild OCD was to write a bunch of articles for the club's web site. This has certainly been cheaper than starting a real currency collection... lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:00:14 pm by jmackenzie3 »
jmackenzie3
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »

A quick update for everyone:
I got the last of the permissions in place yesterday, and got the pages formally published online. Here are the links to them. If you see any glaring mistakes anywhere, feel free to let me know via e-mail:
info@saskatooncoinclub.ca

Enjoy!!!

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/80_prov-canada.html

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/81_dom-canada.html

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles/82_bank-canada.html

And the complete collection of articles I have written for the club are here:

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/articles.html

Login with username, password and session length