Author
Topic: $20 Polymer - BSW Prefix - Observations  (Read 5681 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:15 pm »

W2W and Beatrix on a different forum have mentioned something about BSW.

Facts
Here is what we know i.e. these are facts that we know:

The official range of BSW is from 0.0 to 0.269999 (270k)

The reported notes are in the range 0.180000 to 0.269999 (90k)

It is believed that all the notes reported and in the SNDB in the above range have a Position Number (PN) of 51 to 59 i.e. the last or rightmost column (as viewed from the back) in a sheet of 5 columns x 9 rows.

When BoC was releasing these notes media photos showed sheets with BSW notes

Making Sense of Facts

Going by the PN and the range it would seem that the skip number of these notes is 10,000.

Given that PN 51 to 59 are printed in the range of Serial Numbers 0180000 to 0269999 it is simply not possible to assign the printing of other PNs from 91-99, 81-89, 71-79, 61-69 with a skip of 10,000 within a range of serial numbers 0000000 to 0179999.

This would suggest some special printing arrangement (could be the sheet size was not 5x9, could be that other spaces on the sheets may have been used to print something else etc.) not unusual for trial runs.

Given the above and given that BSW sheet was seen at the time of first release of these notes it is possible that even though alphabetically BSW is last, it was printed before any other prefix from BIE to BIZ and BSA to BSW. Something similar has been noted with FTH M-C, EKZ and FBB i.e. these prefixes have been used in the media during the first release of these notes and yet they have either been rarely found (FTH M-C, and EKZ) or have not been released (FBB) before other prefixes that were printed later (FTY, FTZ and FFA bundle straps show dates which are after the release)

Now for the most interesting clue. It is believed that the plates used to print the back of BSW was different than the plate used to print BIE to BIZ and BSA to BSV. I have not presented this evidence publicly yet but I will do so once I get a BSW is hand. I have presently based it on the images I have seen of these notes.

It is my belief that the BSW was first prefix to get printed and most likely used for final circulation trial.

Bottom Line

The total number of BSW's can be no more than 270,000 which is what the BoC has declared.

The BSW's that will be found are all likely with PN from 51-59 and I think the total will not be more than 90,000. There is evidence (which will be presented in due time) that there is identifiable difference in some aspect of printing found in the BSW compared to notes with PN 51-59 of all other prefixes BIE-BIZ and BSA to BSV. Given this I think BSW should be considered special from a collectors point of view.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:53:45 pm by Rupiah »

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:51:21 pm »

It should also be noted that prefix BSV is most likely as short run prefix with about 5.5 million notes printed. I think the high reported in the SNDB is an error. There is evidence that would strongly suggest that BSV was short run. This evidence is based on the printing skip numbering which changes towards the 4.5 million serial number range in BSV compared to a similar change at 9.0 million prefix range in other B-- prefixes.

This would be consistent with BSV being the prefix that was printed last and giving credence to the theory that BSW was not printed after BSV.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:30 am »

Given the above and given that BSW sheet was seen at the time of first release of these notes it is possible that even though alphabetically BSW is last, it was printed before any other prefix from BIE to BIZ and BSA to BSW.

For anyone interested I have provided physical evidence to show that BSW was likely not chronologically printed meaning it was not printed after BSV but in all likelihood was printed along with BIE.

This physical evidence is explained in the article that appears in the latest Canadian Paper Money Journal.

Given this physical evidence and given the evidence on reported serial numbers it all points to BSW being printed under special circumstances different than any of the other BS or BI prefixes.

There is one more physical evidence that I will be presenting later that will further point to the possibility that BSW was printed as a separate batch on its own possibily suggesting it may be a trial of some kind.

JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 11:52:59 am »

It is very likely that they were ''trial'' notes. There are only a handfull around. I highly doubt 270,000 were circulated as we'd see more around.
wagnert89
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:43:01 pm »

I have not found one yet looking through circulated notes so they must be semi scarce.  I am sure someone is hoarding a bunch somewhere and they should share  :D. I am not personally  looking to keep one so if I find one I ll offer it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:47:17 pm by wagnert89 »
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:10:51 pm »

I have not found one yet looking through circulated notes so they must be semi scarce.  I am sure someone is hoarding a bunch somewhere and they should share  :D. I am not personally  looking to keep one so if I find one I ll offer it.

In terms of quantities printed they are less than M-C HAE and in terms of numbers reported on SNDB they are lesser than the M-C HAE.

In terms of #'s reported in SNDB /total printed

M-C HAE - 7 reported in SNDB per 100,000 printed

BSW - 5 reported in SNDB per 100,000 printed

So it would be as "dear" as HAE if not a bit more. Chronologically it may very well be the last prefix ever printed by that printer (or if the facts show the first prefix of Canadian $20 polymer ever printed).

Lots going for BSW from a perspective of a collector and I am not one.

Login with username, password and session length