Author
Topic: FTV below 1.4 M and serial ending in 96, 97, 98 and 99  (Read 4591 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:30:20 am »

There is something really unusual I have seen on some FTV's.

It seems like prefixes below 1.4M and with last two numbers of the prefix being 96, 97, 98 and 99  have an unsual tactile feature (indent) just below the regular tactile feature. This is very prominent and would be hard to miss.

Initially I thought it was some damage even though the feature was very precise.

I have now run into this in several notes both from new bundles and  from circulation.

The preciseness of the indent in terms of the exact location that it occurs on all differently acquired notes, the serial numbers that it affects i.e. those ending in 96, 97, 98 and 99 makes this too much of a coincidence for it to be random damage.

In a few weeks I will show a photo. However in the meantime if you have an FTV that falls within the above parameters I urge you to look at it and share it. In case you have a note in that range if you can take a photo with the serial number side facing up and with the portion just below the tactile feature showing that would be highly appreciated.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Beatrix
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 04:45:44 am »

This is quite interesting and I'll keep my eyes peeled for it! I took a quick look and I have only run across one so far under that range (11-96) and it was all the way back in June, so nothing recently missed.
wagnert89
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:43 pm »

Do you have a picture of the damage?  I found one in a higher range (attached)

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »

Do you have a picture of the damage?  I found one in a higher range (attached)

I will do so in the next couple of days. Need to dig into my image database. But it would not be found in the note in the serial number range that is shown.

I would not call it damage but a condition. And if you had a note with that condition you cannot miss it.

Just give me a few days.

wagnert89
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:20 am »

Ok, I am interested to see these features. I had just found that lightly circulated FTV so I posted it to see if that feature was on that note too (just out of curiosity)
wagnert89
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:57:30 pm »

there's lots of FTV's in ottawa area, found 2770963 today
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 12:57:40 am »

In a few weeks I will show a photo.

As promised - Here is the photo of the face and back of the note showing the condition. As the photo shows it is an indent which is concave (holds water) as seen on the face and convex as seen on the back. Here are the particulars of the condition:

It happens at the same spot - Below the inside tactile feature on $10 notes
It has so far been observed only on FTV's
It has so far been observed on serial numbers from 0700000 to 1200000. Particular this condition is not seen on notes higher in the range of 2.0M, 3.0M and 4.0M.
It has only been seen on serial numbers that end in the range of 94 to 99 meaning serial numbers of the form xxxxx94, xxxxx95, xxxxx96, xxxxx97, 0000098, 0000099.
This condition has been observed on various positions on the sheet

While a condition like this could possibly be created after the note was released in circulation, the consistency of the occurence as described above points to something else that may have occured at the time of production.

Click Image for larger view

wagnert89
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 08:53:09 am »

Thanks for the pictures.  That's an interesting circular feature. I definitely did not see that on the higher range FTV

Login with username, password and session length