Author
Topic: 1954 Devil's Face serial ranges?  (Read 4083 times)
Beatrix
« on: May 07, 2019, 03:40:35 pm »

I did some searching but I haven't been able to find any specific data. I have the opportunity to go over some 1954 series bills soon but I won't have a lot of time with them to pick which ones I want. I can analyze numbers much faster than pictures, so I was wondering if someone could share which serial number ranges I should watch out for. Thanks!
AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:04:21 pm »

I suggest you keep the ones that have an asterisk in front of the serial number.

Joking aside I don't think there are any rare changeovers or anything.  The toughest for me has been $5 C/C Beattie-Coyne in anything approaching Unc.  I tried to buy one years ago on eBay and returned it because it was a pressed EF that smelled like bleach.

All the others... H/A, D/B, E/D, B/E are abundant in both signatures.

It's also been tough to find a nice $1 T/A to be honest.  The really really tough one is the $2 I/B modified portrait.  So frustrating as there are literally thousands of Devil's Face I/B but the modified is extremely rare in any condition.

In terms of specific serial number ranges I don't think it matters.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:46 pm »

The toughest for me has been $5 C/C Beattie-Coyne in anything approaching Unc.

The other "toughies" of the Modified change-overs (from Devil's Face) are the $2 Beattie-Coyne I/B (which I have seen a few soar at auction- but never even came near in my bid ;- (
and:
the $50 Beattie/Rasminski A/H which I have yet to see...

JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:20:28 pm »

the $50 Beattie/Rasminski A/H which I have yet to see...
The actual existance of this particular note along with the $100 A/J Beattie-Rasminsky has been questioned in the passed in another posting. There is a good possibility they never got issued for circulation.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:56:10 am »

It's also been tough to find a nice $1 T/A to be honest.  The really really tough one is the $2 I/B modified portrait.  So frustrating as there are literally thousands of Devil's Face I/B but the modified is extremely rare in any condition.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length