Author
Topic: Desmond $10 wins 2018 B.N.O.T.Y. Award  (Read 150 times)
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
    • Numismatic Network Canada
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:53 am »

Thought I would share the news from the CCF Forum with a link to the IBNS announcement and cool Youtube Video.   :D

Hopefully we can do it again in a few years time with the new $5.

https://www.theibns.org/joomla/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDpYbhapv8&feature=youtu.be

Death to Debit!  Long Live Pecquiology!
Track your Cash @ www.whereswilly.com

https://cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?action=sigtag&u=Rag_Picker
wagnert89
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:49:37 pm »

It's great to see we won an award and we did not appear to have an spelling mistakes too (unlike recent Austrian $50) so I think we did awesome.
AJG
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:16:54 am »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.  Most $10s I see in my change are the already existing versions with MacDonald on them.  It sounds like demand is so low, low enough to declare the $10 bill an endangered species in terms of banknotes in Newfoundland.

Still, it is nice that our new $10 bill won such a prestigious award.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:19:51 am by AJG »
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »

BNOTY - Bank Note of the year

Sounds like B Naughty  ???

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.

- I periodically withdraw 100X $20 & a few times 100X $10 from my branches in the GTA (Ontario). 
For the Twenties: 25-30% are what I would consider newer prefixes (FWA to FY_) so clearly, BOC release rate of new prefixes is a trickle.  It would seem logical to assume that the old prefixes (BI_ ; BS_; FI; FS_ to FVZ) are being given extra mileage.

This cannot be the case for the Tens since we had the "150" & new Vertical series mix enter just the last 2 years & my stats show I get about 75% new prefixes (FTL -FTU; CDA-CDF & FTW-FFB).   So FEW to FTJ are getting mileage but not to the same degree as Fives & the Twenties. I just got a couple new FFB's (which was a surprise) today so that is now being released but I predict that the BOC will slow down the release of anything new (to get mileage out of the existing notes).

From the most casual of observations, we can see new prefixes from the Fives have not been released for some time.  The high for HCM was posted 3 years ago (2016) so BOC is definitely going to get mileage out of that denomination too (esp considering they're going to wait till 2021 to release the new series). All of this is also in keeping with the fact that fewer Canadians are using cash these days too.
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:56:12 pm »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.  Most $10s I see in my change are the already existing versions with MacDonald on them.  It sounds like demand is so low, low enough to declare the $10 bill an endangered species in terms of banknotes in Newfoundland.

Still, it is nice that our new $10 bill won such a prestigious award.
Not the case here in Montreal. These new 2018 $10 bills are very easy to find... its only those that i have been getting lately when i use cash. The 2013 $10 bills seem to be quickly disappearing in my area.
Beatrix
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:13:25 pm »

Viola 10s are quite abundant here in Thunder Bay. Individual batches of 10s vary of course but I am starting to see more batches in which the 2018 series is more plentiful than the 2013 series. 2013 still has the edge in general but it is slowly shrinking. Probably 2/3 of what I find are FFA (09, 12/13, 39/40, and especially 46/47) with all but 1% of the rest being FTW.
AJG
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:38 am »

Viola 10s are quite abundant here in Thunder Bay. Individual batches of 10s vary of course but I am starting to see more batches in which the 2018 series is more plentiful than the 2013 series. 2013 still has the edge in general but it is slowly shrinking. Probably 2/3 of what I find are FFA (09, 12/13, 39/40, and especially 46/47) with all but 1% of the rest being FTW.
The 2013 $10s are still quite plentiful in my province.  I still do not see very many of the 2018 $10s where I live.  I am thinking it might have to do with a drastically reduced economy in Newfoundland in recent years, plus most people using debit card and Smartphones as payment methods quite frequently.
JB-2007
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:29:43 pm »

Its all about supply and demand. If you live in a lower populated area you will likely have a longer wait before new notes become available as oppose to living in a highly populated city like Montreal or Toronto where new notes are easy to get as early as day 1. Living in Montreal, finding a new series note has never been a challenge. In some cases i even manage to acquire them in change on day 1 of its release date and that was the case with the Journey 10 and 20.

Login with username, password and session length